Ah.... The good old days

Started by gtech, November 27, 2004, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtech

:)

While I was searching for some print-outs of some PCBs I have, unpopulated but etched, I found a few treasures.

Mini-Boosters 1, 2, 3. 4, 5, and 6, Sweet Thing and all.  :roll:

Who remember the MBM-5-ODS?

That was from Jake Nagy...

What about the Shaka 4, 5 or BBQ?

That's from Doug Hammond.

I'm glad I was there back then. Not that it is less interesting today, just different.

It's just that by looking at all these old schematics, I realised how many projects came and were left behind. It's like looking at old pictures of yourself when you were young.  You feel older.

:cry:

Don't worry, I'll feel better by Xmas.  :lol:

Btw, today, I tried the Mini-Booster/Tone Control part of the Shaka-BBQ circuit all by itself with my Fender tube amp. It sounded too bassy.

So, in place of it, I will try the Tube Reamer in tha box where I tried the Mini-Booster/Tone-Control. That was for a test anyway.

Then, I will build the Rat.

Gilles
Sorry, I had to do it...

Michael Allen

I have a MiniBooster 2 somewhere. I had some trouble with it so I scoured it for parts. Man that was the perfect box to drive a 50w into some nice classic crunch. Good response to pick attack and volume. Very "glassy" sounding.

I might try another one someday!

gtech

You can do a lot of things with this circuit.

It can sound glassy or warm  depending on a few parts changes.

Yesterday, I bought a 5534 and a OP275 to do some sound tests with simple circuits I already have.

But the Mini-Booster is sill part of it somewhere.

Gilles C
Sorry, I had to do it...

petemoore

Go ahead and talk about the MB, I do. Here I go...
 I use it Alot. Drives Fuzzes the way I like 'em driven for a nice thick heavy Fuzz like...well alot what your'e Fuzz is like except grindier with more drive, other boosters do this, It could most likely reasonably be replicated with an opamp [see there I go rambling...back to the point], minibooster [mu amps] seem to get the hard rock drive I often look for and can get with it and a distorter like a tube amp/and or with other devices.
 I have a Mosfet Mu-Amp derivitave, WGTP was working with these IIRC, it was the Mu Madness or related schematic, modified and messed with, had 'similar but different' [aren't all boosters? :shock: ] [more mossy... :) ] performance.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mike Burgundy

the good OLD days?
C'mon, it's not that long ago, and all these circuits are still very much alive!
My minibooster knowledge doesn't go beyond #2 and the sweet thing, go figure - I'm still behind!
The Shaka3 is also very much worth it, as are lots of others.  Joe Gagan's wild circuits, lots of Jack Orman stuff, our own Aron...etc.
Have a look at the original schematics page for ideas.
(Aron, lots of dead links nowadays   :cry:  )
Now Leper's Abode, that's the old days ;)