sound on "start me up"

Started by badperson, November 27, 2004, 08:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badperson

How do they get that classic sound on tunes like "start me up,"  "miss you", It's some kind of phase/wah kind of thing.

sorry if that's a basic question

thanks!

bp

Ed G.

Dunno much about what Keef used on the classic recordings, but I heard some phase on 'beast of burden' today so that could have been part of his rig.
I think Keef went through a lot of amps in his day, including fender and ampeg.

petemoore

Well let me just say this about that...'Nixon'
 SS phazer
 PHaze 90
 EZ Vibe
 What I have to work with
 RV3 [has stereo outs]
 MkII 50W
 AC30TB workalike [tube pre and amp]
 I Did a 'phaze off' last night. It took a long time, because I kept playing phasey lines, chords, playing 'lost and found' in noteland...I just get to where the notes are all right there, and flow out like fluently...once I get to a cool Phazone...I like to play around there for a Time 'er Two.
 Anyway...two phazers in a row can be cool.
 ...'RV3 separated' phazes for the cha I and cha II inputs of the MkII
 ...90 on the AC30TB thing  
 What I'm getting to is differnt phaser combinations work better sort of clean for the most part.
 I'm building a 6 stage phaser also, I think it mainly needs matched Fets.
 But for the time being messing about with multiple phasers is just coolsville too...takes 'some' routing and knob turning to be certain, I like to set one for 'subtle fast and dirty' another for Deep Slow and clean with color etcetdc  there are myriad permutations to discover.
  Mucking about enough, one can resonably replicate the ['Rainy Days'...JH Experience] med. sweepy phase with slow 'fade in' phase [over the top of the sweep is strongly attenuated]...
 ...HIT Me...
 [knock me out of this tangential phase before too long PLease']...once you get 'neverland' all set up the way you want, you could spend days in there playing !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Sorry, [for the above Phase rant]
  that sounds like a SS phazer could come close there...
 That or something like it, plus a whole lot of other nice stuff...but just guessing, could be a phased amp with a touch of reverb, treble slightly boosted, also an amp with 'some reverb added, 2+ mics etc.
 Conservatively loaded class A amps / big cabs.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

B Tremblay

I recall reading somewhere that KR used a Phase 100 on the Some Girls album.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com