HERES A EASY FUZZ PROJECT FOR YA !

Started by Dragonfly, November 28, 2004, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

I was playing around with the Colorsound Fuzz circuit (from the Wah-Fuzz), and by changing a few things around, came up with a great sounding fuzz. I'll probably issue this as a Dragonfly product, but thought I'd give people a chance to build their own first. :)Its not too far from the original schematic (which is also similar to a Fuzz Face), but has a few changes, such as....

*pull-down resistor for pop free sound in a true bypass circuit (the 2.2MEG resistor at the front of the circuit)

*changed the 100ohm resistor (between the 47k and 8.2k resistors) to a 1k resistor for more "overall" output...yields more volume boost

*went to a silicon/germanium hybrid format, with a 2N5089 as Q1, and a AC187 as Q2. One of the interesting things about this circuit is that, unlike a Fuzz Face,  Q2 doesnt seem to "need" to be a gain selected germanium transistor...i tried several AC187's of varying hfe's and all sounded quite similar....and quite good !

*changed the output pot to a 100k linear taper, which i like better than the original 5k log taper pot.

A FEW POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS:

*add a 50k "pregain" pot to the beginning of the circuit, with can control fuzz and also cut a bit of bass from the circuit.

*the 1k resistor on Q2's emitter could be changed to a 1k linear taper pot for "fuzz intensity" control.

*socket Q1 and Q2...pretty much any NPN transistors will work in this circuit....i've tried 2N2222, 2N3904, MPSA18, AC187, and 2N731 transistors, all with good results...the "moral"...you can build it with what you have :) The germanium transistor at Q2 makes it a bit "woolier", but two silicons sound nice too.

*the 8.2k resistor on Q2's collector could be changed to a 10k trimmer pot.

BASICALLY, IF YOU USE THE 2N3904 TRANSISTORS AND A 10K TRIMMER POT FOR THE COLLECTOR OF Q2, YOU CAN EASILY BUILD THIS GREAT SOUNDING FUZZ WITH PARTS FROM YOUR LOCAL RADIO SHACK !!!!

Marcos - Munky

Looks interesting. Thanks for share it.

jmusser

So, it looks like we have another Easy Face type thing going on with the hybrid silicon/germanuim fuzz. I never met a fuzz I didn't like, and I have some germs that are just begging to be in a face type circuit. Cool! Thanks for the schematic.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

no problem :)

lemme know how it turns out for ya....after trying it with a bunch of transistors, i settled on the 2n5089/ac187 combo, because it was thick and sustained like crazy. using two silicons adds rasp and thins it out a bit, but its still really cool....and its a VERY easy build.

btw...im gonna test it with a few more amps today...the initial tests were done with a les paul and a telecaster through a 1956 fender tweed harvard amp. it was late, so i couldnt turn it up too loud...today i'll crank it through the marshalls and the twin :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserSo, it looks like we have another Easy Face type thing going on with the hybrid silicon/germanuim fuzz. .

btw...rumour has it that this circuit pre-dates the fuzz face by a couple of years ! (much like the tonebender 2 transistor circuit)

I never met a fuzz I didn't like...

you and me both, brotha   :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

.If anyone builds that fuzz with 2N3904s, please try putting 5 or so 1N4148 in series across the 8.2K and tell if it helps. Or maybe make the 8.2K a 10K pot with a 1N4148 from the wiper arm to the collector (in each case with the diode oriented in the direction of current flow).

bwanasonic

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave).If anyone builds that fuzz with 2N3904s, please try putting 5 or so 1N4148 in series across the 8.2K and tell if it helps.

What would that help with? Not familiar with that tweak.

Kerry M

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
  The basic circuit has been around for a long time before either the Fuzz Face or the Tonebender MK I.  Gary Hurst used the basic design for his Tonebender MK I in '59 or '60.  [ The pedal was released later by Sola Sound ].   In '66 Arbiter ripped the design for the Fuzz Face and then Colorsound  [previously Sola Sound...] came around with some new designs awhile after that.
Brian.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave).If anyone builds that fuzz with 2N3904s, please try putting 5 or so 1N4148 in series across the 8.2K and tell if it helps.
What would that help with? Not familiar with that tweak.
Kerry M
I'm hoping it would sound more 'germanium' and also add second harmonics.

phillip

Here's the schematic of the one-knob fuzz box that Colorsound reissued a couple of years ago.  I doubt it's the same circuit as was used in the original one-knob fuzz box way back when.  It's pretty similar to the one in the Fuzz-Wah pedal with a few minor differences here and there.  It uses a BC109 for Q1 and a BC108 for Q2...might not be easy to get ahold of those here in the US, but they're excellent transistors, especially when you get ahold of the European-manufactured ones

Phillip

Dragonfly

Quote from: phillipHere's the schematic of the one-knob fuzz box that Colorsound reissued a couple of years ago.  I doubt it's the same circuit as was used in the original one-knob fuzz box way back when.  It's pretty similar to the one in the Fuzz-Wah pedal with a few minor differences here and there.  It uses a BC109 for Q1 and a BC108 for Q2...might not be easy to get ahold of those here in the US, but they're excellent transistors, especially when you get ahold of the European-manufactured ones

Phillip

the reissue definitely has some different values than the original schematic. i fired up my "Lil' Devil" version today through a Super, a Marshall 1959slp, and a Boogie Lone Star....very cool sound...not what you'd use as a "basic tone", but a real attention getter. my friend, who plays guitar in Sun Kil Moon, happened to stop by when i was playing it, and he LOVED it.... he wants me to build one for his rig....

im gonna try building the version you posted as well...looks interesting, and ive heard good things about the reissued one knob fuzz.

btw...a "special thanks" goes out to you Phillip, Aron, Gus, Joe Davisson, and all you guys who made me realize that building effect pedals was something that us "normal people" were capable of doing.  youve definitely inspired, instructed, frustrated, and rewarded many of us ! Keep on keepin' on !

Dragonfly

bumping this for a fellow forumite...

macula56

hey dragonfly, do you have a website with your pedals? perhaps some spound clips?

dickwiewy

+1Terrabyte  :icon_wink

I quote,"btw...a "special thanks" goes out to you Phillip, Aron, Gus, Joe Davisson, and all you guys who made me realize that building effect pedals was something that us "normal people" were capable of doing.  youve definitely inspired, instructed, frustrated, and rewarded many of us ! Keep on keepin' on !
Posted on: November 29, 2004, 10:13:08 AMPosted by: phillip 

What Phillup posted in the way of thanks, is felt most heartily from me as well. :icon_exclaim:

The link below is not mine but I wish it were. :icon_mrgreen:

Perhaps some of you may too! :icon_cool:
Noel Grassy

:HORN SUBWOOFER: chamber building. The horns have been designd to obtain a very narrow low pass filter
               http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Manic dangers lie hidden in hobbies thatsimulate mental detachment, causing bookworm dementia when out-of-body psyche, when in a state of libidoless ectasy, trips the trigger that springs a parallel dimension nerd snare-Robt. Williams

ACS

Hmmn, thought this one looked interesting so whipped it up this afternoon.  All I got was a slight shange in the 'character' of the sound - ie volume is around the same as bypassed, but it sounds just somehow different! Actually kinda nice... but it still would be great to get it going properly.

So a couple of Q's - I put the trimpot in; is it normal operation for this to let signal pass at one end of the travel and then almost completely switch it off when tweaked little ?  There's a very definite point where it will or won't let signal pass...

2N2222A x2 by the way...

I'm not really debugging at this point - more trying to get an idea of the character of the circuit... :)

Cheers
Aidan

Dragonfly

Quote from: ACS on April 06, 2008, 07:26:14 AM
Hmmn, thought this one looked interesting so whipped it up this afternoon.  All I got was a slight shange in the 'character' of the sound - ie volume is around the same as bypassed, but it sounds just somehow different! Actually kinda nice... but it still would be great to get it going properly.

So a couple of Q's - I put the trimpot in; is it normal operation for this to let signal pass at one end of the travel and then almost completely switch it off when tweaked little ?  There's a very definite point where it will or won't let signal pass...

2N2222A x2 by the way...

I'm not really debugging at this point - more trying to get an idea of the character of the circuit... :)

Cheers
Aidan

If it only "slightly" changed the character of the sound then something is wrong. This circuit gives TONS of fuzz. If its working properly, you'll have no doubt in your mind that it's "on" !  ;D

check the "debugging.." thread and post voltages ...

8mileshigh

Yup I agree.  I built this two years ago and still have it on my pedal board.  It produces thick smooth fuzz and cleans up nicely with the volume pot on my guitar.  I brightened my unit up a bit though because it was a little too Master Of Reality sounding. 

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Dragonfly

Quote from: 8mileshigh on April 06, 2008, 10:49:16 AM
....it was a little too Master Of Reality sounding. 

Is there really such a thing ?   ;D

ACS

Thanks dudes, yep pretty confident something is wrong in there!!  Will take some voltages tonight and see what we can come up with...

ACS

OK, this little bugger is driving me nuts!!

(edit) main 'symptom' is no fuzz and an A/B test shows output volume is lower than bypassed...

Mods to circuit as follows:

*  2x 2N2222A trannies. Datasheet at http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/support/Z2069.pdf - to double/triple/quadrouple check : so this means flat side to the right of the diagram, viewd top-down??!
*  Didn't have a 47K resistor, so put two x 100K in parallel (measured at 49K)
*  Put the 10K trimmer in.  Connected one outside lug to cap, inside lug to collector of Q2, other outside lug non-connected.  Measured R across this at multiple settings, seems to be playing ball.
*  Replaced 1K on E of Q2 to the 1KB pot.  Measured at various settings and is behaving correctly.

Voltages for Q1:
C: 5.40
B: 4.77
E: 0.00 (whew, even *I* know that one's right  ;) )

Voltages for Q2:
C: 5.99
B: 5.40
E: 0.14

Have double checked all component values and orientation of the two electros... Built on perfboard, and have checked very hard by eye and with DMM for short circuits...

Hope you guys can help!

Aidan