Is there a way to make preamp gain dependent on supply voltage?

Started by PietS, September 08, 2022, 07:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PietS

On the surface, it seems like a simple question but I can't seem to find a schematic that allows variable (clean) gain due to supply voltage variation. What I would like to do is use something like a potmeter to drop the V+ on a transistor or op-amp and in that way control the gain. The circuits I've seen and tested only reduce headroom when you reduce V+ but the gain stays the same.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

MP_Quokka

What is the application? Is there a reason why the supply voltage needs to change?

I think changing the supply voltage on a transistor stage would change the bias and cause distortion at some part of the adjustment range

Quote from: PietS on September 08, 2022, 07:01:47 AM
... What I would like to do is use something like a potmeter to .......control the gain.

Using a pot in the feedback of an op amp in addition to or instead of Rf would allow adjustable gain without appreciable distortion, but not sure if this is what you're after?

PRR

Yeah, why?

The potentiometer can directly pot-down the signal. If you don't like signal on the pot, use an LM3080/etc and feed the Iabc pin from a pot-variable voltage. The THAT Corp VCAs are another possibility.

A too-simple BJT amplifier _will_ change gain with supply voltage (actually current), but you have no design control of impedances or gain-range. It tends to be both hissy and distorty.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

you can use Delta-Modulation (turning the audio in to super sonic PWM) and then the amplitude of the input signal is referenced to a triangle oscillator's amplitude and basically turns the audio in a data stream of percentages of this triangle's amplitude, these percentages are turned back in to voltages corresponding to a percentage of the supply voltage.

its how i plan to build a feed forward compressor.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

PietS

Quote from: PRR on September 08, 2022, 01:03:32 PM
Yeah, why?

The potentiometer can directly pot-down the signal. If you don't like signal on the pot, use an LM3080/etc and feed the Iabc pin from a pot-variable voltage. The THAT Corp VCAs are another possibility.

A too-simple BJT amplifier _will_ change gain with supply voltage (actually current), but you have no design control of impedances or gain-range. It tends to be both hissy and distorty.

Why? I was just brainstorming on a simple way to control the gains of multiple parallel signal paths. I thought there might just be a simple way using supply voltage.
Thanks for pointing out the LM3080. Its schematic might just do the trick.

merlinb

Not forgetting the venerable LM13700, which could also accomplish this

PRR

> gains of multiple parallel signal paths.

That's a reason worth mentioning.

Why an amplifier? How about an attenuator? FET shunting a series resistor. Craig Anderton(or John Simonton?) used a CMOS hex inverter as a 10-cent hex voltage controlled attenuator. LDRs were widely used until ROHS.

Most simple plans have to knock signal down below 100mV. Distortion in BJT rises past 20mV and the push-pull 3080/3700 goes only somewhat past that. JETs and LDRs and vari-Mu tubes have ranges which take volts but usually have an important transition where >100mV is sour.

The dBx/THAT VCAs are the epitome of high level low-THD wide-range gain control, but cost more than a buck.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteOn the surface, it seems like a simple question but I can't seem to find a schematic that allows variable (clean) gain due to supply voltage variation. What I would like to do is use something like a potmeter to drop the V+ on a transistor or op-amp and in that way control the gain. The circuits I've seen and tested only reduce headroom when you reduce V+ but the gain stays the same
There's something missing here because you can simply use a volume pot after the clean stage.   What's the intention behind complicating things by controlling gain via the supply voltage?

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.