Ross Compressor "More Treble" Mod

Started by phillip, November 30, 2004, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

I just tried out the mod that Mark Hammer posted about a month ago about adding a 0.001uF capacitor in parallel with the 10K output resistor in the Ross Compressor to increase the treble response of the circuit.  

Works great!  Definitely doesn't get nearly as muddy as it used to now.  I also replaced the 220pF capacitor from input to ground with a 100pF so that it doesn't remove as much treble.

Phillip

ragtime8922

Nice! It was such an nagging problem. Can't wait to fix mine. I've tried messing with the 220p a few times but never did I try the parallel .001.

Mark Hammer

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Congrats.

phillip

Quote from: Mark HammerThanks for the positive feedback.  Congrats.
I'm still amazed at how nice of a mod it is...cleared up almost all of the mud just by sticking the capacitor in the socket.  

Also a note to everyone who wants to try it: different value capacitors will pass more or less treble, so it's worth socketing that capacitor so the right one can be found by experimenting!

Phillip

petemoore

Maybe becuase were using modern parts, and that's a viable 'modern version mod.
 Could be 'they decided the extra filtering was necessary at the time of the production/writing of the schematic?
 Recent Reports seem to indicate noise without this 'extra' filtering is not abnaxious enough to warrant having to live with the treble loss associated with it's use.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Just tried a 1nf MKT acrcoss the 10k on my Dunlop reissue Dyna Comp, and it seems like a nice mod. My rather unscientific before and after test was done with a Les Paul and Traynor YCV20WR at low volume. Seems to bring back some nice sparkle.

BTW- As much as I hate working on the Dyna Comp due it's construction techniques (board mounted jacks and switches), it does seem to be really well built. It uses an internal ground plane PCB, and a high percentage of metal film resistors. Wish I still had my script logo MXR that *grew legs* many years ago, so I could compare the two.

Kerry M