It's MuTron time! Any mods?

Started by jrc4558, December 01, 2004, 12:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc4558

Good evening, ladies and gentlement, the captain and the crew welcomes you aboard... sorry... wrong forum.

Here's what I wanted to ask.
I'm about to build Neutron from GGG. Are there any nice known mods to it that I should be aware of? Since I'm perfing it, I think I can afford some extra control.
Any information is welcome!

Thanx.

STOMPmole

I'd use the MAX1044 (search the forum for lots of info on it).  You're a brave soul to perf the Neutron.

jrc4558

How does MuTron compare to the Bi-filter-follower by Craig Anderton?
Anyone here who can shed some light on this?

SaBer

I built the Neutron on perf with a couple of mods. It ended up being almost like the McMeat.
You might want to check out the McMeat and combine sections from both. They work almost similary.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

StephenGiles

Constantin - the Craig Anderton Bi Filter Follower was better in my view, and I did a variation with the sweep generator from the EH Crashpad here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/StephenGiles/royal_filter.jpg

Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jrc4558

Hey, Stephen! That looks UberKool! Say, what's the power? Bi-polar 9v?
And also - What are the 324 opamps? And also: can TL 072 be used for the filter section instead of TL070? What are the benefits/why did you use TL070?

Thanx for the cirquit. I think I'll go with it. Looks simplie than anything else and has start and stop control. :)

StephenGiles

Constantin - good questions!
Yes it needs dual 9v supply, the 324 opamps form a sweep generator lifted from the EH Crashpad, and there's no reason why the other 2 amps in the 324 can be used for the filter. I used TL0 70 because I had some - no other reason - perhaps being flash!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Processaurus

An easy mod to most envelope filters is to make seperate jacks for what gets filtered and what gets its envelope extracted.  that way the filters sweep triggers on something thit isn't heard in the filtered output of the effect.  It sounds really cool with a drum machine driving the envelope part and your guitar  getting filtered in time with a beat.  kind of a poor man's/tweaker hobbyist's Seek Wah...

jrc4558

For that matter, I can adapt for an expression pedal controlling the voltage on the LEDs and use it as a foot wah-wah. Of a sort. :)
hope it will sound EVIL :twisted:
Royal filter's parts list is almost accomplished. I'm in exams up to my ears and hardly have any time to sleep, nevermind the DIY. So after Dec. 17 there may be some news from me on this topc. :)

Transmogrifox

take a tap off the rectifier (in fact, replace the 1/2 wave with a full wave) through a 50 or 100k pot set to pan between clean and "dirty".  Adding all the trash from the full-wave could generate some very interesting sounds.

Use OP275 (you can order from Digikey) op amps for the filter (you need two dual op amps=2x OP275), and use the spare op amp for something else, like an external input buffer.  TL072 is just fine for the envelope follower section.

Last mod:  instead of a switch between the high, low, and band pass filters, put volume pots on them and mix them together.  Use a TL074 quad, 3 for buffers, one for a weighted summing amplifier.  This mod will allow you to accomplish things such as high pass notch, low pass notch, notch filter, etc...

These are all features of an envelope filter I have designed for myself (and almost completed building, just waiting on some pots from Mouser).  Unfortunately, to add all the features/mods makes the circuit get complicated and large rather quickly.

My EF currently uses 6 external jacks, 9 pots, 3quad op amps, 3 relays, 3 stomp switches, 2 dual op amps, one CMOS inverter chip and a bunch of passives to supported all built on 5 2"x4" perf boards---each individual board is now working----60 hours later---I recommend building your EF in modular form with lots of room to grow so you can just add stuff as you like---sorry about bragging--I'm excited about this thing and can't wait until I'm finished.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

petemoore

Definition of "Trans mog ri fy"<<<
      See Above     ^^^
 I bet you are, 'Trans' :idea:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Transmogrifox

Pete :  :lol:

I wish I knew the code for a tipped wine glass, "cheers"
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

petemoore

Quote from: StephenGilesConstantin - the Craig Anderton Bi Filter Follower was better in my view, and I did a variation with the sweep generator from the EH Crashpad here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/StephenGiles/royal_filter.jpg

Stephen
So...getting geared up for BFF Here, Stephen if you coulud verify:
 All OA's pins 8 get 'top battery's' V+
 NEgative from ^ that battery and positive from the "UNderside battery"go to points marked with triangle outline with a line through them for split supply 1/2v input bias.
 The 'bottom battery's negative goes to all Opamp pins 4.
 "Ground, what I connect to the box and Jacks is 1/2v, the lines throught the triangles.
 These are all standard opamps, I count six...3 duals would work.
 And the opto's I'll look into unless you have comment for availabilty, substitution [I like from Mouser], or necessary specs on them.
 I have yet to build a great VCF, this looks like a good place to start...
 Any soundclips comments... places I might want to leave room for a mod etc.
 It looks pretty interesting and probably works good, I never know really what I'm getting into, what it'll sound like, how much I like until I build it and try it out !!!

petemoore

I think I have it about right...if you see something looks like I'll have a problem with, from my description of the wiring, [there are symbols I'm not sure of on the schem], let me know, otherwise if this bump makes it to the bottom of the page, I'll start building it !!