OT Digital Vs Analogue

Started by gez, September 01, 2003, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

There are occasions when digital is DEFINITELY preferable to analogue!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/-146i0.jpg
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

petemoore59

Can it imitate [convincingly enough for a blindfold test] my afterhangover garlic, apple, egg, bean, and beer 'special' mile longs???
  This concoction could probably be used as an addidtive to increase the volatility of your fossil fuels!!!

gez

I just got a 'Topic Reply Notification' in my inbox.  Due to it's length the title is cropped and reads 'OT Digital Vs Anal...'
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Peter Snowberg

QuoteI just got a 'Topic Reply Notification' in my inbox. Due to it's length the title is cropped and reads 'OT Digital Vs Anal...'

Given that choice.... I'll take digital.  :?

For me, the most interesting part of digital is that you are NOT limited by the 3 degrees Kelvin of background radiation in the universe :D . You can build a digital filter with better performance and lower noise than is possible in the analog world. The problem is with how much data is shifted between the analog and digital realms. 32 bits @ 192K is VERY good, but 16 bits @ 44.1K is just barely passable for most applications and FAR below acceptable for any process with entropy involved.

Just my $.02
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation