Dod cap problem?

Started by ildar, December 01, 2004, 01:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

I replaced all the 1uf electro caps with film caps of the same value in a Super American Metal pedal. The pedal now produces a sputtering, gated, farty sound as the signal decays. I replaced only 5 caps, but is there any reason this would happen? Does it have anything to do with a polarity issue? The electros were polarized, the films are, obviously, not.

MartyMart

That shouldn't give the symptoms you're describing !
I would check all your work with a magnifying glass, to see if you've got any bad connections or solder bridges or have lifted a pad up.

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ildar

Checked that already. I've built/modded enough to know to go over my soldering with a fine tooth comb  :)
I figured just changing out the electros was a good place to start on this pedal, guessing that (again, from prior experience, especially with Boss pedal mods) polarity was not an issue. I'm just wondering if I've been thrown a curve here and polarity is, indeed, an issue.
Or, maybe a bad cap?

vanhansen

Hook up an audio probe and go through the circuit to see/hear where the fluttering starts.  That'll tell you exactly where the problem is.

I still need to build me one and luckily I haven't needed one yet. (knock on wood).
Erik