Big Muff Build - Metal Film Resistors

Started by NaBo, December 01, 2004, 01:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaBo

Hey guys.  im getting ready to place a somewhat hefty order to mouser... i'm probly gonna have a big muff on my plate in a few months, and im just wondering if any of you have used metal film resistors in yours.  is there a big difference in noise?  feel free to share any other muff mods you can vouch for...  (feel doubly free if you're gonna include some mp3 samples of said mods for me!) ... im looking for as versatile a muff as i can get without having to socket, but i'll admit it, i'm drawn to the mindlessly overdriven sound of pinkerton-era weezer... and well, im building no less than 4 other distortion pedals this time around so it doesnt have to be THAT versatile  :D

petemoore

Quote from: NaBoHey guys.  im getting ready to place a somewhat hefty order to mouser... i'm probly gonna have a big muff on my plate in a few months, and im just wondering if any of you have used metal film resistors in yours.  is there a big difference in noise?  feel free to share any other muff mods you can vouch for...  (feel doubly free if you're gonna include some mp3 samples of said mods for me!) ... im looking for as versatile a muff as i can get without having to socket, but i'll admit it, i'm drawn to the mindlessly overdriven sound of pinkerton-era weezer... and well, im building no less than 4 other distortion pedals this time around so it doesnt have to be THAT versatile  :D
>>>No, but I would think the BM is as good a candidate for these resistors to try to reduce noise in something/BM's are known to be a bit noisy..sometimes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Danny G

Socket the second pair of diodes and try a Si pair then Ge.  I like the Germs, they soften the pedal up a bit--makes the BMP more usable as an OD/Boost, sounds real nice for bass.

bwanasonic

Make sure you search the archives for info on the Way Huge Swollen Pickle BMP tone stack variant. I would also get the Duncan Tone Stack Calculator and experiment with the BMP values.

Kerry M