need small help with DS-1 mod

Started by Extremist, December 01, 2004, 07:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extremist

i'm making a fuzzcentral DS-1, and here the problem:
i'm gonna use a 5mm blue super bright LED (as check indicator) instead
of 3mm white super bright LED (cannot find it at local shop). what the value of series resistor (R35) should i use?

petemoore

Quote from: Extremisti'm making a fuzzcentral DS-1, and here the problem:
i'm gonna use a 5mm blue super bright LED (as check indicator) instead
of 3mm white super bright LED (cannot find it at local shop). what the value of series resistor (R35) should i use?
R35 looks like a limiting resistor to set the indicator LED's brightness.
 One EZ way to find the brightness you want is to use a 10k pot to find the resistance of R35/brightness you want.
 To avoid burning out your LED while choosing a resistance, set the 10k pot to max resistance, and verify it IS high, say above 8k [pot tolerances vary].
  Series this resistance with the LED your'e going to use [wiper of the pot to the LED], connect a Power Source of Voltage potential that the circuit will see when used.
 There should be a flat side to the LED, connect the LED and Variable Resistor [10k pot] to the battery, flat side of the LED to negative [if it don't light reverse polarity].
 You should be able to see the LED light dimly. SLOWly adjust tht 10k to the brightness you want without burning up the LED. If you go too low resistance the LED may not last. Should get 'Super Brite' N/P.
 With the brightness level chosen, and being careful not to disturb the potshaft setting, disconnect the battery, measure the pot's resistance, and put a fixed resistor on the LED of close to the same resistance.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

The "Ultra bright blue" LED's that i use are 3mm, saves drilling out the Boss pedal !
They are happy with anything from 1k5  to 4k7, somewhere inbetween seems well bright enough for me, I'd go 2k7 or 3k3.
If you're in the UK, pm me your address and i'll send you a few.

Cheers,
Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com