Aluminum electrolytic: types, brands and quality?

Started by bwanasonic, December 01, 2004, 06:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanasonic

Browsing the Mouser catalog, I see quite an assortment of aluminum electrolytics. I am wondering if things like *low ESR* or *low impedance* types are something I should consider. Normally I just get the Xicon blue general purpose ones($.05@). But would say, *Nichicon UPW low impedance series* be worth the added expense($.22@)? Basically, since price is not really a factor in the quantities I buy,  in terms of both quality and functionanlity, what are the *best* aluminium electrolytics for DIY stompbox use?

Kerry M

niftydog

Quotewhat are the *best* aluminium electrolytics for DIY stompbox use?

no such beast. It all depends on the specific use you have for the caps. Like, a cap smoothing the DC might require different parameters than one used in the signal path etc.

There are specific caps designed for audio applications. Otherwise, I'd just go with reasonably good quality low ESRs for most things. Also, size is one to look out for, sometimes you can get the sub-miniature caps which are awesome for squeezing into diecast boxes!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bwanasonic

Quote from: niftydog
Quotewhat are the *best* aluminium electrolytics for DIY stompbox use?

no such beast. It all depends on the specific use you have for the caps. Like, a cap smoothing the DC might require different parameters than one used in the signal path etc.

All right, let me rephrase: What are the *best* aluminum electrolytics for each function in a DIY stompbox?

Kerry M

niftydog

QuoteWhat are the *best* aluminum electrolytics for each function in a DIY stompbox?

yeesh! You don't ask much!! :D I couldn't really sit here and think up every application for a electrolytic and then tell you which ones would be best. Suffice to say;

if you want the best ones for audio applications, there are specific audio types available - often just called "low leakage".

If you just wan't power supply filtering and decoupling, go with just about anything you want.

Low ESRs are generally for high power applications and are often not recommended for audio. I only ever get 105 degree rated caps, but it's unlikely that heat will be a problem in a stompbox. Sub miniature are very handy, but not essential. Low tolerance is good also...

but it all comes down to cost in the end. Why spend $5 on a whizzo cap when the 60 cent one does the same job!?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)