Tonebender MKII HELP!!!

Started by Aaron0602, December 02, 2004, 05:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron0602

Hey guys,
So i recently built a Tonebender MKII Professional clone, and I'm having issues with it. Basically, it's noisy as hell. When you first plug in, it's not too bad, but after about 5-10 minutes of playing, the noise/hiss level nearly exceeds the volume of the guitar. The hiss goes down significantly when I turn down the guitar volume, but it's still there. I used xicon carbon comp resistors, sprague atom and orange drop caps, and matched germanium transistors from small bear electronics. Does anyone have any idea of what's causing all this noise, and how I can test components to find the culprit?
I'll give you all my PNP transistor voltages:

Q1:  C = 8.66V;  B = 66.5mV; E = 0
Q2:  C = 351mV; B = 99mV;  E = 0
Q3:  C = 6.58V; B = 351mV; E = 228mV

Battery Voltage is 8.86V

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Aaron

petemoore

Quote from: Aaron0602Hey guys,
So i recently built a Tonebender MKII Professional clone, and I'm having issues with it. Basically, it's noisy as hell. When you first plug in, it's not too bad, but after about 5-10 minutes of playing, the noise/hiss level nearly exceeds the volume of the guitar. The hiss goes down significantly when I turn down the guitar volume, but it's still there. I used xicon carbon comp resistors, sprague atom and orange drop caps, and matched germanium transistors from small bear electronics. Does anyone have any idea of what's causing all this noise, and how I can test components to find the culprit?
I'll give you all my PNP transistor voltages:

Q1:  C = 8.66V;  B = 66.5mV; E = 0
Q2:  C = 351mV; B = 99mV;  E = 0
Q3:  C = 6.58V; B = 351mV; E = 228mV

Battery Voltage is 8.86V

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Aaron
Yes, I think I know what's wrong with it from what you posted.
 It notice it makes too much noise when you're not playing, while it's on.
 This could be one or two of two or more things.
 When thatppened to me, I looked at it one of two ways:
 My Fuzz doesn't work right.
 Something in my Fuzz doesn't work right.
 For me, the first one's easy, I grab another Fuzz.
 In the case of a Ge TBMkII, I'd go looking for the somehting that's wrong in it. Alot of my techniques for doing this are intuition coupled with excellent debugging techniques...what are they? They are all in the debugging page, except for checking resistors in circuit and subsituting my thumb for an audio injector.
 leaky cap
 leaky transistor
 bad pot
 something else
 Which transistor is making the noise?
 Try stickin' a 2n3906 [or pnp] in the sockets if you used them.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.