News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

first pcb

Started by guitarmonky55, December 02, 2004, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarmonky55

so i got my first pcb circuit etched a few weeks back, but ive been waiting for my components from small bear, which arrived today.  got 2 q's about the ensuing process.

for drill bits.........i cannot get my hands on anyhting in the 1/32 range...would it be alright to use a 1/16?  the pads on my pcb are fairly large, as i did it by hand with a sharpie.

and is it alright to bend the little legs on a transistor socket/trim pot to make it fit into my holes?  i dont need to bend them much, but i dont want to break anything internally and ive never had to bend these before.

David

Quote from: guitarmonky55so i got my first pcb circuit etched a few weeks back, but ive been waiting for my components from small bear, which arrived today.  got 2 q's about the ensuing process.

for drill bits.........i cannot get my hands on anyhting in the 1/32 range...would it be alright to use a 1/16?  the pads on my pcb are fairly large, as i did it by hand with a sharpie.

Nope.  Sorry.  I found out the hard way that 1/16 is almost the size of a pad.  You need to get a bit that's about #66 wire size.  Unfortunately, this probably won't fit in your drill, so you'll have to get a Dremel and an extra small collet to fit the bit.  You should get the drill press attachment, or at least have the continuously variable speed option.  I plan to get one of these tomorrow, God willing and the creek don't rise.  Also, tap a punch on your pads to create a slight depression for the bit so it won't "walk".

guitarmonky55

well call me low tech but i use a pin vice to drill the holes.  already did it in some test boards and it works just fine, just really slow going.  i dont have a dremel nor the cash to drop for one, and a drill press is way out of hte question.  alright ill just buy the 12 dollar set at radio shack i guess.....its got about 10 of the little buggers in there so at least ill have spares

toneman

Truely, DIY!!
Hat's off 2 ya!!
Now, if U can drill the holes withOUT a drill,
that'd B *truely* DIY!!!
B sure 2 get the EBC correct...
stayDIY
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Marcos - Munky

Mark Hammer

1/32 drill bits can often be obtained from hobby shops that cater to either model train enthusiasts or gemstone enthusiasts (lapidary shops).  If you google "lapidary supplies" you'll find plenty.

The best bits to use are those with wide (1/4") shanks and the plastic collars.  This chuck up real nice in a standard bench drill press.  The wider shank reduces wiggle/wobble, and reducing wobble reduces breakage.

EdJ

The drill i use isn`t actually a drill but was part of an electrical glass engaver set which my wife had given to her 20 years ago.It is very small and accepts the smallest drills.I have seen things like it in arts and crafts shops here for as little as 6 euro.I have a Dremel too but to tell you the truth i have never used it for drilling holes as small as needed in a pcb.In my opinion the Dremel is too heavy and should be used in a drill press,otherwise the small drillbits would break to easy.
HTH,Ed

guitarmonky55

well i bought the radio shack set, whipped out the ol' pin vice and drilled away....perfect!  took about 15 minutes but its done now.

captntasty

MOUSER.com

Mouser Part #: 5876-409-62
Description: DES Tools #62 HS DRILL BIT.038

QT      $
 1:  $1.10
10:  $0.99
20:  $0.90
50:  $0.82

I've found these to be great for boards...
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Dragonfly

most home improvement stores also sell 1/32" bits for Dremels....

Gilles C

I alread had a Dremel, but I recently bought this little drill at Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=RadioShack&category=Power_Tools&product=6418952

It works on batteries, and I keep it beside my digital meter in my tool bag.

Gilles

EdJ

Hey Gilles,that looks almost the same as the drill i was talking about.Exept mine is orange and works on an adapter.It is 20 years old you know.Great tool isn`t it?
Greetings,Ed