Tube pedal forum?

Started by aron, December 03, 2004, 05:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have a separate tube pedal forum?

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: December 17, 2004, 05:27:08 PM

aron

Do you guys think we might need a separate tube pedal forum? Since the availability of these boxes and transformers, there might some use for a separate forum for using tubes in pedals. Not only that, but it might be a better "draw" for the tube designers.

Let me know via a poll.

smashinator

I think this would be great, especially if general tube questions will be appropriate in it.  I feel a little bad asking about the Sopht amps in the stompbox forum.   :D
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Regan

I'm just wondering if there is enough support at the moment for something like that, I wouldn't want to see it going the route of ampage.
If its not a huge amount of work setting it up Aron, could we try it?
I think the Sopht amps should be included because I'm thinking that those space charge tubes may make a great boost pedal.
Regan.

puretube

I have the strong feeling, that [some]*
might not appreciate it too much -
and that mr. "Hammond" and mr. "puretube" won`t add too many comments, there...

*would have been edited a couple of days earlier, if possible

Regan

Hmmmm,
Darn, I was hoping you would post some of your schematics with layouts so we could fit them in the box with little to no planning on our part  :twisted:
All kidding aside, I would hate to think that people would avoid the forum because of a few, maybe there should be a no current commercial schematic rule? or maybe no layouts posted?
Maybe I'm just doing some wishful thinking,,,,
Regan

Phorhas

Things is, I personaly, don't feel that tube questions take much of our forum, and besides, this could lead down a dangerous path...
"clones forum", "delay forums", modulation forum" - you catch my drift.

I don't fell like jumping from forum to forum very often.

well... my 2 cents...
Electron Pusher

aron

QuoteI have the strong feeling, that JHS, 1Wahfreak, and kiki
might not appreciate it too much -
and that mr. "Hammond" and mr. "puretube" won`t add too many comments, there...

Well, I can't do anything about that.

If people want to stay mad at each other, fine. This forum exists for people that want to build, not argue.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think, if somethig is a stompbox & has a valve (tube) in it, then it is a stompox & belongs here with everything else stompbox.
If it is actually an AMP, designed to drive speakers directly, then it is what we call an AMPLIFIER and belongs 'elsewhere'.
Unless it weighs less than 200 grams in its case, that makes it an honorary stompbox :wink:

aron

Good point. My thinking is that it might be easier to find info directly pertaining to tube pedals if there were a separate forum, since (to me), these pedals entail much different techniques than your average solid state pedal.

That's all.

Regan

The reason I mentioned allowing the Sopht amp is because it could lead to new pedal designs. Besides, add a couple of things and its a pedal :)
Actually a tiny tube compressor would be nice.
Regan

donald stringer

I think there is a great need for a tube pedal forum. The info. on them gets lost in this forum.
troublerat

Gilles C

I hope that some day, you'll have to start a new forum for DSP based effects...  :lol:

I would love to see someone build a Miss Parker, as posted by dubs.

http://www.axoris.be/MissParker.htm

Gilles

zachary vex

there's been an increasing number of posts about amp stuff in here, and the progression seems pretty natural to me.  i guess i'm partly guilty.   8^)  the forum is easier to read if it's all in one place, if you ask me...

bwanasonic

I'd rather not see that split off into a seperate area myself. Do you feel that there is an excess of this info getting *lost* on the forum, or a dearth of it and you want to generate more? I'm not sure splitting it off into it's own forum would generate much more info, and I don't think there is so much info on the current forum that you can't follow it if you want to.  Keeping this info more generally circulating at this point might generate more interest long term.

Kerry M

Lonestarjohnny

You got a Pedal Page, a newbie page, a for sale page, a BS page, what's 1 more for tube's gonna hurt, It would help make it easier when trying to research some tube info.
Johnny

macula56

i am new here but have been getting a lot of good info. i like the idea of a separate tube forum. they may be stompboxes, but they are definitely different animals. by the same token, i have used some ideas that i got from circuits in this forum in my amps. play on.

petemoore

Well I'd like to see HV stuff completely separated from 9v topics.
 I feel like I'm maybe putting newbs at a possible risk with my silly 'thumbuzz' technique, which, at 9v is fairly innocuous, at 230v becomes downright stupid and dangerous !!!
 With a separate Forum for anything HV, a warning can be put right at the top explaining the potentially lethal voltages and the related risks, and techniques/methods to eliminate those risks.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

swal

I couldn't agree more, lots of the people on this forum are guitar players that just happen to have a soldering iron around the house and start building and learning at the same time(like me).   And, to mix info about a pedal or amp that can kill you with pedals that the main concern is droping your iron on ur lap and burning urself could be very dangerous. Go with the seperate forum it would be amazing for someone like me to learn about tube pedals and even small amps, it will be a nice transition. Not having to weave through the why does my ts or ff question will make it alot simpler and alot more safe. Awesome idea Aron!!
S J Waldner

zachary vex

will separating the tube stuff from low-voltage by putting it in a different forum make it safer somehow?  i think not.  i just think that fewer people will participate in commenting on the tube stuff, and perhaps fewer warnings will be posted.  i always try to include a warning about high voltage every time i post in what seems to be somewhat of a newbie tube thread.

petemoore

Quote from: zachary vexwill separating the tube stuff from low-voltage by putting it in a different forum make it safer somehow?  i think not.  i just think that fewer people will participate in commenting on the tube stuff, and perhaps fewer warnings will be posted.  i always try to include a warning about high voltage every time i post in what seems to be somewhat of a newbie tube thread.
Yes true, If everybody types warnings with every post referring to HV circuit.
 By having a separate forum, with clear warnings shown at the top, or 'accepted as read' to get in, would clear the way for the meat of the posts not to have to be mixed with the warnings every time.
 Best to 'have your hat on straight', not be in a hurry, or upset when opening the works of a tube amp. Focused concentration is important...forget trying to get up the stairs on the fourth ring before the answering machine goes off...etc....take the phone off the hook.  and be safe first.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.