True bypassing Tube screamers...

Started by triskadecaepyon, December 03, 2004, 11:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triskadecaepyon

I currently have a Maxon OD808 (same as the Ibanez TS-808, with the exeption of 2 resistors) and I'm trying to take out the FET switching on it so I can make it true bypass.  Anyone have any info or pics on how to change the  tube screamer to true bypass?  Sorry 'bout the Newbie question...

Gilles C

cd

Read Technology of the Tubescreamer at www.geofex.com, all the info you need is there.

Dirk_Hendrik

IMHO installing a big chunky 3pdt switch in a 9-series is NOT the way to go. It may be the easy way but it's the cruel way as well.
I TB-ed my ts9 using a small 2pdt relais as used in telecom applications. It uses an extra driver transistor which is controlled by the original bypass flipflop circuit. Cons: Takes some time to install. Pro's: You can always go back to original (try that after drilling a 12 mm hole) and it's cheaper than the big switch.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

triskadecaepyon

Quote from: Dirk_HendrikIMHO installing a big chunky 3pdt switch in a 9-series is NOT the way to go. It may be the easy way but it's the cruel way as well.
I TB-ed my ts9 using a small 2pdt relais as used in telecom applications. It uses an extra driver transistor which is controlled by the original bypass flipflop circuit. Cons: Takes some time to install. Pro's: You can always go back to original (try that after drilling a 12 mm hole) and it's cheaper than the big switch.

The Maxon OD808 has a carlington style DPDT, so it looks exactly like a 3PDT.  Just take a look at the pics.  All I would have to do is remove the old switch and place in a new one, give and take a few parts.  What my main concern is doing the electronics stuff, such as taking out those FET switching things.  I was just wondering if the process is the same and if the boards were basically the same.

Dirk_Hendrik

True, my error. I was distracted again by that horrible Q&A with Keeley link. For your OD808, read the RG keen article (still one of my favourites) and GoGoGo!
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

cd

Quote from: jplaudio
Quote from: Dirk_HendrikIMHO installing a big chunky 3pdt switch in a 9-series is NOT the way to go. It may be the easy way but it's the cruel way as well.
:idea:
Excellent point...I have been using this method for about a year. It applies to all Boss Ibanez, and DOD pedals that use FET switching. It does increase the power consumption but maintains the stock appearance of the pedal, which can be important with older "collectable" pedals. The mod is easily undone with no leftover holes. You also have signal failover if you lose power.

Use a latching relay, then the increased battery consumption is miniscule.  I TBed an SD-1 this way.