Not happy with anything I've built

Started by javacody, December 04, 2004, 03:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Quotei put a 5uF bipolar cap across the horrible little speaker in my nano to knock out the high-frequency raspiness.

Hmm... that's a neat little trick. I'm going to have to remember that.  8)

javacody

Ok, just did this to my Ruby, and it really did the trick. No more harsh, tinny highs! Zachary, may the camel who carries your pedals to the bazaar have good digestion and be able to outspit his peers!

Next, I'm trying this mod on my little smoky! By the way, if you are doing a 386 based amp, you really want to go with a JRC386D chip. I've tried 5 JRC386BD chips, and they act like a mis-biased fuzz face as the notes die, they get all gated and farty sounding. I've had two D's, and neither one had this problem.

zachary vex

Quote from: javacodyThanks for that tip Zachary. Time to dig around and see what I have for caps, probably two 10 uF polar caps in series.

that's actually what i do.  two set up plus to plus in series.

zachary vex

additionally, be sure to try different values because who knows what its' going to do with different impedances.

keep in mind you may be putting some intense strain on your amp if it's higher-wattage.  i'd limit this tone-softening trick to very low-wattage amps!

javacody

It's definitely less than a watt. No worries there. I really like the effect of the 5uF cap, no need to experiment. I'm really surprised at how much better this sounds!

bwanasonic

Quote from: zachary vexnaturally, there are no really high-quallity 1" guitar speakers available.

Sounds like an opening for an aftermarket entrepreneur!  :wink: Pure hemp 1" speakers for the Nano!

Thanks for the info BTW Zach

Kerry M