debugging first fuzz face

Started by guitarmonky55, December 04, 2004, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarmonky55

ok folks, got it soldered up and got problems.(this one http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/easyface.pdf )

i built an audio probe to test it, and the signal is no longer there starting at the second leg of c2......now im a noob and dont really know what to look for.  i re did a few solder joints on the board, alot of them are on the messier side(mostly because i let a little too much solder flow, nothing terrible though).  would this be a powering problem or what sould i look for?[/url]

petemoore

Quote from: guitarmonky55ok folks, got it soldered up and got problems.(this one http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/easyface.pdf )

i built an audio probe to test it, and the signal is no longer there starting at the second leg of c2......now im a noob and dont really know what to look for.  i re did a few solder joints on the board, alot of them are on the messier side(mostly because i let a little too much solder flow, nothing terrible though).  would this be a powering problem or what sould i look for?[/url]
C2 looks like it's the 'bottom input capacitor.
 What's the voltage on Q2 collector.
 You should be getting sound through the input section, be sure to turn that 250k pregain pot toward signal or just in the middle.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

guitarmonky55

i kind of......dont have a multimeter i was relying on the audio probe for debugging purposes...i dont have the cash to buy a multimeter either even a cheapo one.

i traced starting from the input and the signal works through the switch, the pot, and the wire coming from the pot.  i get to the board and right where the wire from the pregain pot goes to c2, it works.  i can stick the audio probe on the leg of c2 by the lead from pregain and i get a full signal.  jumping to the next part of the circuit...nada.

now i dont know alot about circuits yet, but would something like a capacitor not being powered cause it to not function like here?

petemoore

Quote from: guitarmonky55i kind of......dont have a multimeter i was relying on the audio probe for debugging purposes...i dont have the cash to buy a multimeter either even a cheapo one.

i traced starting from the input and the signal works through the switch, the pot, and the wire coming from the pot.  i get to the board and right where the wire from the pregain pot goes to c2, it works.  i can stick the audio probe on the leg of c2 by the lead from pregain and i get a full signal.  jumping to the next part of the circuit...nada.

now i dont know alot about circuits yet, but would something like a capacitor not being powered cause it to not function like here?
Typey times...DIY FAQ for sure has that kind of info, with that and reads like at GEO, Technology of the Fuzz Face [I printed that one out and leisure read it many afew times], go thouroughly through, try the links until you find out what a cap looks like and can do, how to identify parts etc.
 Without basic terminology used by all parties involved, communication is time consuming and laborious, it is easier for you to learn this by reading, sorting, and attempting to comprehend and absorb as much as you can. If you're not good at math, some of the equations may not make sense and are not 'manditory' to know, at least to get a FF working. Taking time to study some of the more complex reads may be necessary to comprehend it, I know I had to slow way down a few times lol..

guitarmonky55

ok now im getting a little worried.  i noticed that after re-inspecting my solder joints they sucked, most were dull and crackly, so i took everything off and re-soldered it.  this time i got them all nice and clean.......same problem!  

i began wondering if it were the trim pot, so i changed the position, no change.  on that trim pot, legs 2 and 3 should both be connecting up to r2 and c3 right?  and then leg 1 goes to q2?  im not a schem wiz yet so i just want to make sure.

i really cant seem to find anything to help my situation by any researching that ive done......i need help! please!

petemoore

Not much to do but recheck each node, and count the connections at each one.
 Check resistor color codes, that top 470 is 470u or ohms...that one used to get me, I'd be putting in yellow purple yellow...
 If you have a trim pot on Q2, and everything else is right you should be getting something.

petemoore

Quote from: petemooreNot much to do but recheck each node, and count the connections at each one.
 Check resistor color codes, that top 470 is 470u or ohms...that one used to get me, I'd be putting in yellow purple yellow...
 If you have a trim pot on Q2, and everything else is right you should be getting something.
Your + is to go to ground, that's the red batttery clip wire.black goes there at the top fo the circuit. Also emitter bypass cap must be + to ground. There's a polarized cap there at the input, that must be in the right way.
 Without that meter...options for debugging are somewhat limited to looking at the board to try to figure it out.
 I'd suggest take a break study over the reads, and try it again if you can get a meter...

guitarmonky55

yea ive been at it all day i decided to give it a rest for tonight to clear my mind and ive been doing some reading.

one thought i had.....ok i couldnt get my hands on a .01uF electrolytic cap, so i asked on ehre and someone said it would be ok it i used a non polarized, so i did.....could this be my problem?

petemoore

IT's small, value wise, if used as input or output cap, will just cut some bass, and overall volume compared to say a .047uf or .1uf there.
 For the emitter bypass cap, I use 10uf or 22uf on FF's.