PHaser Fet's...good for what else ?

Started by petemoore, December 04, 2004, 06:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

2n2369's, as used in phasers, in matched pairs if done right.
 OK got all my phazers Jfet's picked out of the large 100 batch...
 Are these transistors usable for other tasks germain to DIY besides Shifting Phase Stages with the varying D/S resistance...er that you know of?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

What does the datasheet say they are like?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

Quote from: R.G.What does the datasheet say they are like?
I'm sorry I should have been more something...I looked at the RF amplifier designation, that's radio frequency, or very high frequency, probably not necessary for audio, I've never tried an RF amp...just fishing for answers.
 My last Stratoblaster went into the Phazer for gain recovery, so I don't really have a Jfet circuit here to A'B test these with my J201's.
 It's about time for another Stratoblaster anyway, I'll do a little A/B ing with that...

petemoore

Quote from: petemoore
Quote from: R.G.What does the datasheet say they are like?
I'm sorry I should have been more specific or something...I looked at the RF amplifier designation, that's radio frequency, or very high frequency, probably not necessary for audio, I've never tried an RF amp...just fishing for answers.
 My last Stratoblaster went into the Phazer for gain recovery, so I don't really have a Jfet circuit here to A'B test these with my J201's.
 It's about time for another Stratoblaster anyway, I'll do a little A/B ing with that...

RLBJR65

Pete, is that the right number? Acording to the data sheets 2N2369 is an NPN high speed switching transistor not a FET don't know which brand you have but here is a link.

http://alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/MOTOROLA/2N2369.html
Richard Boop

petemoore

DAFT !!! I put the wrong number on there...
 Excuses...I also did up a FF with a low gain transistor...nevermind
 2n5952 is the transistor in question for this post...sorry !

petemoore

OK !!! Here's the prelim results with Stratoblaster 'test lab'.
 These 2n5952 transistors for use in the Stratoblaster make me think there's a certain 'timbre' to them, as compared to a J201.
 Both amplify. Gain is close, I think the J201 with more bass output is more output. However I find the 5952 quite pleasing to hear.
 As an application possibility, I suggest that in the Jfet build, the one with the muddy bass, instead of lifting the source resistor, swap that J201 with a 5952, then maybe adjust the cap value, or swap subsequent or previous Jfet stages with 5952's for a different bass response.
 I would say the transistor has an interesting treble response, and will probably work in many/most [if not all] applications that a J201 or MPF102 would work, with the usual Jfet bias needs. THe variation in tone between the J201 and the 5952 IMO is worth noting and possibly investigating further...I suspect some of you have those Jfet phaser Q's from batch sorts laying around, I do/
 Of course the more of these you get the better the %age you'll find matched sets....lol ! Kind of tries to draw you deep into that Phazer thing...
 Someone hit me if this typing is all about some kind of fluke, the bass/treble response of the 5952's seemed markedly different than a J201.