BluesBreaker mods (revisited)

Started by mrsage, December 04, 2004, 08:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsage

I finished my GGG bluesbreaker last night and was playing around with it with my Strat.

It sounded a little bit...I don't know...thin or tinny or something. I actually haven't tried it with humbuckers yet, and I've heard these are better through those.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed the same thing using single coils, and if there are any mods that could help smooth things out a bit. Does anyone have any clips?

Secondly, I'm thinking of doing some of the mods from the other Blues Breaker mod thread (replacing C3 with a 0.2uf cap and/or cutting C7/R8 out of the circuit).

Has anyone done either or both of those mods? What was your experience with them? Any preferences of one over the other? I was hoping to add a switch to toggle between "classic" and "more gain," so I'd really prefer to just do one or the other rather than both. I'm sure they both add gain in different ways...does anyone have a preference, and why?

Thanks!

Gus

A BB likes to be used with an amp that is turned up loud.  At home levels it will sound thin.

With boosters, overdrives. distortion and fuzzes it is hard to impossable to make them sound good at both live or home levels