Effect Level mods?

Started by G Kresge, December 04, 2004, 09:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Kresge

Just wondering if anyone knows how to add an "Effect Level" control to a Boss MT-2. Not output level, like the existing "Level" controls on the Boss pedals, but something that acts as a control to mix the effected signal with the "dry" signal.

Also wondering if something like this is possible on a TS-9.

Thanks.

Mike Burgundy

I gather you mean a "blend" control? One that has totally dry (buffered bypass) at one end, and full effect at the other?
This is not too hard if you have the room inside the pedal to add so e electronics to add a straight-through buffer. This may need an amplifying buffer.
Depends on the exact circuitry, but basically the layout would be buffer, split to line A and B.
Line A is regular, full-on effect (w/o the master volume). Line B is a bypass line around the effect.
Next you get the blend knob, which has bypass on one outer lug, and effect on the other. The wiper goes to another opamp which goes to master volume and output.

G Kresge

Yeah, a "blend" control is pretty much what I'm looking for. I just used the "efect level" term, since that's what Boss calls it on most of their boxes - and a very large percentage of my pedals are Boss, so it seemed like the right term.

If there's anyone that know's how to make this mod, I'd appreciate the input.

:)

Mike Burgundy

An MT2 is not going to let you stuff anything extra in there, but you could make a loop-pedal with a blend option.
Use opamp buffers for ease.
buffer-split line-loop and straight-through-blend knob-buffer.
You might want to include some kind of option to reverse phase on one of the two lines - some pedals invert the signal.
Should be doable  with 4 jacks, a footswitch, tow opamps and some other stuff.
hih

bigjonny

Be sure to check out R.G.'s excellent article on panning.  You can use this as a "blend" control.