EH treble/bass/linear boost pedals

Started by shawsofhell, December 05, 2004, 05:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawsofhell

I am building a LPB with a 3 way switch that changes cap values so I can get the sound of each of the EH boosters. My question is looking at the standard values when in the treble and bass position is the frequency boosts too harsh.(ie does it boost the trebles too much)

Here is a link to some of the circuits:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/richardo/perfboard/index.html

petemoore

Not sure I get the question, but sockets often provide eloquent answers to circuit voicing questions.
 BY eliminating certain frequencies from the signal path, then amping what's left, the LPB can be voiced, for bass or treble cut [both B and T cut could be called mid boost]...add a notch filter for the 'opposite' effect; Mid Scoop.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

why dont you just add a pot at the beginning of the circuit that pans between two input caps, making a "blend" control? that way you could customize it for YOUR needs....

also...i personally dont like the lpb-1 circuit with a small input cap..it can get BRUTALLY bright....

my $.02

petemoore

Quote from: Dragonflywhy dont you just add a pot at the beginning of the circuit that pans between two input caps, making a "blend" control? that way you could customize it for YOUR needs....
>>>It works that way, you may notice the passive components at the input may make the circuit less lively. Another way is use an SPST switch for incap value choices...I call it 'add a cap'.
 Pick a input cap for one cap value setting. add another switched cap across it...look around for a schematic with an arrangement like this for starters or just tailor the cap values with sockets or something.
 I think you could use the add a pot method With a switch also...just bypass the 'adjusted to taste' pot for the other 'preset choice' cap value.

also...i personally dont like the lpb-1 circuit with a small input cap..it can get BRUTALLY bright....

my $.02

petemoore

Quote from: petemoore
Quote from: Dragonflywhy dont you just add a pot at the beginning of the circuit that pans between two input caps, making a "blend" control? that way you could customize it for YOUR needs....
>>>It works that way, you may notice the passive components at the input may make the circuit less lively. Another way is use an SPST switch for incap value choices...I call it 'add a cap'.
 Pick a input cap for one cap value setting. add another switched cap across it...look around for a schematic with an arrangement like this for starters or just tailor the cap values with sockets or something.
 I think you could use the add a pot method With a switch also...just bypass the 'adjusted to taste' pot for the other 'preset choice' cap value.
 Dagg I submitted...anyway with these components and wiring schemes and a little messing about...lol...[lotta help I am] you can get an arrangement at the input you'll surely like.
 Look at a buncha schematics and you can surely find examples.

my $.02

Dragonfly

i use input caps on switches for the rangemaster clones i build...early on, i used a simple dpdt toggle switch, but lately ive been putting them on a dpdt stomp switch, so i can go from full range boost to treble boost while playing....the rangemaster circuit works really well with this setup....

i havent tried doing it on an lpb though.

btw...i recently built an lpb with trim pots on the collector and emitter of Q1 and a socket for Q1...its absolutely amazing how many transistors are effective in this circuit !  many of them have similar sounds and output gains, but a few really had some different character giong on....the AC187 sounded GREAT, but didnt give as much boost as some of the silicon devices...still, im gonna keep experimenting with the AC187 to try and tune the circuit for more output....any suggestions Pete ?

Dragonfly

i use input caps on switches for the rangemaster clones i build...early on, i used a simple dpdt toggle switch, but lately ive been putting them on a dpdt stomp switch, so i can go from full range boost to treble boost while playing....the rangemaster circuit works really well with this setup....

i havent tried doing it on an lpb though.

btw...i recently built an lpb with trim pots on the collector and emitter of Q1 and a socket for Q1...its absolutely amazing how many transistors are effective in this circuit !  many of them have similar sounds and output gains, but a few really had some different character giong on....the AC187 sounded GREAT, but didnt give as much boost as some of the silicon devices...still, im gonna keep experimenting with the AC187 to try and tune the circuit for more output....any suggestions Pete ?