mod SD-1 to increase output?

Started by raf, December 05, 2004, 06:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raf

Dear All,

I am new to this forum and also stomp modding. I have a single channel valve head and presently use an SD1 (party modded - caps only) for solos. However I find that it doesnt boost the volume that much.

Is it possible to mod the SD-1 to increase the volume?
or should I try to build a different effect?

Cheers
Raf

Fuzz

Hi Raf!

1- If you just need volume, maybe you're using your head's crunch, so don't need pedal's saturation. Just remove the clipping diodes and you'll have more volume than needed.

2- You need pedal's saturation: maybe adding another 1n4148 diode in series with D4 (same orientation) can help you having a little more output level from the gain stage.

Good luck!
Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

MartyMart

If you look towards the back of the board, you will find three "diodes" next to each other, remove one pair and in one of the spaces left put in an LED, a small 3mm one will fit nicely, you will get a nice gain boost from this.
If you fancy doing a bit more of a serious "mod" go to the fuzzcentral site where you'll find all the info you need for this mod.

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

raf

Hi Fuzz,

Grazie molto.

Cheers for the info. Yes I am using the heads cruch (gain on 7 drive on 7 - Laney GH50L) for my main crunch sound. So for solos if I wanted more volume, just remove the clipping diodes? Cool i shall give it a go.
Do you think it is possible to have a switch to turn the clipping diodes on and off?

petemoore

Quote from: rafHi Fuzz,

Grazie molto.

Cheers for the info. Yes I am using the heads cruch (gain on 7 drive on 7 - Laney GH50L) for my main crunch sound. So for solos if I wanted more volume, just remove the clipping diodes? Cool i shall give it a go.
Do you think it is possible to have a switch to turn the clipping diodes on and off?
Yes, quite possible, and has been tried...seems a popular thing to do to a pedal.
 Switching between various diode configurations...or no diodes.
 If you have a low voltage threshold diode in a clipping situation, you can add a higher clipping threshold diode across it. THe higher CT diode will be 'asleep' until the lower one is 'removed' or switched out by lifting one of it's connections...this is nice for SPST switch owners, by switching only the lower CT diode, one can get switching between diode types with just an SPST.
 It is noted that changing diode configurations will change the output level and sound of the Distortion.-
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fuzz

Quote from: rafHi Fuzz,

Grazie molto.

No need to thank me!  :wink:
"Grazie molto" stands for you're Italian too, or you speak Italian, or you just can say "grazie molto" in Italian and other stuff like "pizza", "pasta"...mh? :roll:

Of course you can switch between them. Just lift the "-" pin of D4 and the "+" pin of D6 and connect them together to one cable. Then put another cable in one of the holes left empty; solder this last one to the common (central) lug os a SPDT toggle switch and the other to an external lug. Now you have your "CompCut" function!

And there's more: instead of using a "ON-ON" SPDT toggle switch, try a "ON-OFF-ON" on, so you can choose between the original clipping, the uncopmpressed boost, and you have room for an alternative clipping of your choice.   :o  Asymmetrical "Si-Ge" is quite good...

Bybye!
Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

raf

Hey Guys

Thanks for all your help, I will definately try it out.

By the way Fuzz, yeah I can speak Italain, my dad is italian but we live in the UK.

Raf