loop box (pop )problem

Started by ruimacao, December 06, 2004, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruimacao

Please can anyone tell me how can i do a loop box whit no poping noise pleaseeeeeeeeeee. :?
i´ve try about every thing and the problem is still there , i allready use cap. and resist. every where , i´ve read 1001 forum about it and nothing seems to work...  :? i´m not going to give up.
But  i need a little help .
loop box pedal

Mike Burgundy

pops are caused by:
-DCoffsets (dealt with with caps and pulldown resistors. In a passive pedal caps aren't necessary)
-powersupply jolts due to switching too much LED current
-bad switches
-?

What is your exact setup, what schematic, what components?
Does the thing pop without anything in the loop?

cd

ruimacao

yes it´s a passive box  whit 1 3pdt switch, 4 switchcraft jacks and a hammond metal case
thanks
loop box pedal

ruimacao

yes it pops even when there is no effect on the loop!

why?
loop box pedal

ruimacao

yes i've read this article .

thanks , but no results
loop box pedal

ruimacao

i'm starting to think that this passive boxes only bring big problems, and i think i 'm not the only one whit this problem
loop box pedal

ruimacao

don´t you  think it´s strange that are lots of people whit the same problem , and it seems that nobody whants to talk about it.

thanks every one who as read my words , i´m going away and  try learning more thinks about this subject.
loop box pedal

Mike Burgundy

We want to talk about it - rest assured.
So it pops with nothing in the loop? Does it pop with the loop shorted (insert a cable)?
What's the exact wiring scheme you used (might help to actually trace it from what you've got, instead of what you've built it from)?
What are you using it with? I'm talking bare-bones signal chain..guitaer-pedal-maybe another pedal-amp...that stuff. also, which of all of those are fed from the same wall-wart, if any?

ruimacao

Hello again , and thanks for your concern,yes it pops with nothing in the loop,yes it pops with the loop shorted .well i use lots of wiring schem from geofex ,from Aron, from Banzai, .... i´m begining to think it´s not the schem ,perhaps it´s a problem whit the AC , here in Europe we have 220v ....i don´t now.
Well i´m using a ESP Maverick Guitar that goes to a bad horsie wha ,than to buffer from axess electronics , than a compressor orangesqeezer (clone),a whammy , ts10 , ds1, and a boss tremolo ,and in the efect loop of the Amp i have a volume pedal Aligator and a  Delay from Ibanez PDM ,my Amp is a Rivera M60 , i use good cables from monstercable,and klotz, all my jacks are from neutrick, klotz, ernie ball, monstercable.
My amp is fine it as no noise or hum , i´ve try to put loop pedal that i made making a loop whit the whammy , the ts10 and the ds1 and at high volume the pops was really big.
I ´ve try every thing ....I ´ve read read lots of thinks about how to make a good pedalboard whit no noise , and i got it .
THANKS AGAIN[/img]
loop box pedal

ruimacao

Quote from: ruimacaoHello again , and thanks for your concern,yes it pops with nothing in the loop,yes it pops with the loop shorted .well i use lots of wiring schem from geofex ,from Aron, from Banzai, .... i´m begining to think it´s not the schem ,perhaps it´s a problem whit the AC , here in Europe we have 220v ....i don´t now.
Well i´m using a ESP Maverick Guitar that goes to a bad horsie wha ,than to buffer from axess electronics , than a compressor orangesqeezer (clone),a whammy , ts10 , ds1, and a boss tremolo ,and in the efect loop of the Amp i have a volume pedal Aligator and a  Delay from Ibanez PDM ,my Amp is a Rivera M60 , i use good cables from monstercable,and klotz, all my jacks are from neutrick, klotz, ernie ball, monstercable.
My amp is fine it as no noise or hum , i´ve try to put loop pedal that i made making a loop whit the whammy , the ts10 and the ds1 and at high volume the pops was really big.
I ´ve try every thing ....I ´ve read read lots of thinks about how to make a good pedalboard whit no noise , and i got it .
THANKS AGAIN[/img]
loop box pedal

ruimacao

One day... we will now ... the mistery ... behind this ... enigma ... until than...  :shock:
loop box pedal

brett

A method you might find useful...
Use a small SPDT switch to replace each of the 3Ps in turn.
The noise will probably only be coming from one or two of the Ps, which will help you solve the puzzle.
Cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Mike Burgundy

All this suggests your problem might not be in the switcher, but in one of your pedals or the amp.
Get an accurate DMM, and carefully measure for any DC offset - youre bound to have it somewhere.
Have you tried using *just* the looper (shorted loop) between guitar and amp? If that still pops, the amplifiers input cap probably leaks. Or the guitar (active, right?)
hih

aron

One of my amp has DC on the grid.

arghhhh

EdJ

Time to warm up the soldering iron then :wink:
Ruimacao;what kind of pop is it making;a dull,kind of low sounding pop or a sharp, trebly, mettallic sounding one or something else?You didn`t by any chance copy it from the Fulltone site?I believe there is an error in that one that causes popping.
Greetings,Ed

ruimacao

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pop is sometimes , kind of low sounding  and sometime mettalic . and no, did not copy it from Fulltone site.
i copy it from Aron , Banzai , guitargadgets...

Thank you
loop box pedal

mikabodcrane

Edj - What do you think is the mistake in the fulltone wiring which causes the pop?
Regards