SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by troubledtom, December 06, 2004, 11:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

hey guys,
    my bizz computer has been down for a week . it's getting a new mother board and stuff. but , my friends here tell me that viruses are coming from me. i just started my bizz computer this morning and found the bad news about an hour or so ago.
   i don't use that computer for arons forum, i use my wifes.
i called one of the forumites and he said they may not be coming form me at all. huh,  :?
    to the be frank , i don't know what's going on but i'm working on it.
i only have 2 addys in my address book and both have nothing to do w/ this forum.
        any thoughts? thanx.
               peace,
                  - tom pollock

Peter Snowberg

There are multiple worms that raid the M$ address book of the affected computer, and then send themselves out as being addressed from people on the list.

Tom, it's very probable that your machine didn't play any part in the mess and that it came from an infection of somebody who e-mails you.

I went years and years without any virus protection and finally I got clobbered. Lately I've become less daring and Norton SystemWorks is now a requirement.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cd

Quote from: Peter Snowberg
I went years and years without any virus protection and finally I got clobbered. Lately I've become less daring and Norton SystemWorks is now a requirement.

Knock on wood, I still don't (on this computer, anyway).  I do scan my computer now and then with the Trend Micro online scanner though.  I feel comfortably stupid though, since (a) I don't use IE (b) I don't use Outlook (c) I read my email through plain text only, never HTML and never graphics (d) I rarely run/receive attachments (e) I do frequent offsite backups - so I'm atypical.  For most normal users, I agree, it's a must.

troubledtom

i have AVG and norton. but i have not updated for 3-4 weeks. and my drive is full. my personal assistant is fixing up my 100gig drive at his house.
   thanx,
       - tom

B Tremblay

Just ten minutes ago, I received an e-mail that spoofed Tom's address with the subject "I'm nude"

I can't think of a more startling image, espeically on a Monday morning!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

petemoore

It's oookkkk.........
 I do open graphics, though will curtail those activities, after reading this. It Could have come from my, or just about anyones computer...from what I gather from reading this thread...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

troubledtom

Quote from: B TremblayJust ten minutes ago, I received an e-mail that spoofed Tom's address with the subject "I'm nude"

I can't think of a more startling image, espeically on a Monday morning!

unholy shit!!!!!!
   the computer is off and unplugged :cry:
hey, my super hot wife says i look good in the morning :P
           peace,
              - tom

vanhansen

Like Peter said, it could be from someone else who does have your email address in their address book.

It could also be using your email address from your IPS's database.  Some ISP's haven't quite locked themselves down to prevent people from spoofing their customer database.

Check your wife's machine up and down, left and right to be safe.  Also, download Adware and Spybot Search & Destroy and install/run them.  You find more "crap" on the machines than you'd care to know.   :D
Erik

Zero the hero

There's only one way to solve virus problems on PC.
Buy a Mac.
:wink:

Regan

Tom,
Happened to me last spring, people were getting stuff from me when I wasn't even on line for a few monthes!!
Regan

vanhansen

Quote from: Zero the heroThere's only one way to solve virus problems on PC.
Buy a Mac.
:wink:

Or use Linux.  I would go 100% to Linux if I could find replacement programs for everything I use.  The biggest issue is my finance program.  I use MS-Money and like it over what I have seen for Linux.  It just doesn't work with WINE.
Erik

The Tone God

Quote from: vanhansenOr use Linux.  I would go 100% to Linux if I could find replacement programs for everything I use.  The biggest issue is my finance program.  I use MS-Money and like it over what I have seen for Linux.  It just doesn't work with WINE.

Its GNU/Linux. I'm a BSD user so I reserve the right to spit on GNU/Linux users. ;) MacOS is BSD based so they're safe. :) There are GNU/Linux viri so to claim complete immunity is not appropriate. Its just one of those statements/myths that I don't like seeing being propagated. It is less likely to be infected though.

I have found replacements for all my software in BSD except for some games and some small oddball apps. Have you tried:

http://www.gnucash.org/

Oh and I have to bring out my american to English dictionary to translate something so the rest of the world can understand.

Viruses (american) = Viri (English)

Andrew

vanhansen

Quote from: The Tone God
Quote from: vanhansenOr use Linux.  I would go 100% to Linux if I could find replacement programs for everything I use.  The biggest issue is my finance program.  I use MS-Money and like it over what I have seen for Linux.  It just doesn't work with WINE.

Its GNU/Linux. I'm a BSD user so I reserve the right to spit on GNU/Linux users. ;) MacOS is BSD based so they're safe. :) There are GNU/Linux viri so to claim complete immunity is not appropriate. Its just one of those statements/myths that I don't like seeing being propagated. It is less likely to be infected though.

I have found replacements for all my software in BSD except for some games and some small oddball apps. Have you tried:

http://www.gnucash.org/

Oh and I have to bring out my american to English dictionary to translate something so the rest of the world can understand.

Andrew

I stand corrected.  I'm pretty new to the GNU/Linux world.  I do have a Mandrake 9.0 server running at home.  Haven't had to reboot the thing in months.

I did try Gnucash but didn't like the reports.  I just couldn't get it like I wanted.
Erik

jrc4558

Or use McAfee!!! THat's a FAR BETTER anti-virus software than Norton or Kasperky

puretube

can`t 2nd that:
a while ago, my m*Afee - "secured" PC1 could only be "repaired",
with the other N*rton - "secured" PC2 scanning it thru a network cable.
Both updated every day.
Happened 2 times: PC1 let the worm/trojan in, and afterwards wasn`t aware it was in there...

"back up your files or go bold" (that thread is gone now, since it had been moved to the Lounge...)

Peter Snowberg

I've had similar experience to Puretube. Norton still gets my vote for AV use.

The Norton Disk Doctor has long been a favorite utility (for over 15 years now! :shock:).

The only thing I HATE about the expanded Norton package is the "Norton protected trash can" which seems to create new problems as it talks about solving other ones. :( Other than that, Norton SystemWorks is a great package. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

lovekraft0

Quote from: The Tone GodOh and I have to bring out my american to English dictionary to translate something so the rest of the world can understand.

:lol: Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary (Oxford - isn't that the Queen's College?)  or standard Latin usage (the plural of coitus isn't coiti, is it?). Read this page: http://the-magi.us/stuff/virus.html

Now you can get back to appending superfluous UEs on words ending in G.  :wink: And next time, have the respect to capitalize American if you're referring to the US language - we may have an oaf in the White House, but we're not all like that. :roll:

Just kidding - I love our cousins across the Big Spit!!  8)

The Tone God

Quote from: lovekraft0:lol: Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary (Oxford - isn't that the Queen's College?)  or standard Latin usage (the plural of coitus isn't coiti, is it?). Read this page: http://the-magi.us/stuff/virus.html

Back in my schooling days, which is not that long ago, I was taught the Latin style nomenclature. Under such the plural of virus is indeed viri but so is virus oddly enough. Virus did not get a plural designation so it is both plural and singular as is viri which can be used in substitution of virus in most cases.

I belive that when I was being taught they enforced the virus/viri change, which as point out above is acceptable but not manditory, to encouarge the "us" singular to "i" plural rule. That and in our fairly convoluted lanuage words typically differ in their singular and plural forms so the virus/viri change occurs as not confuse other people when speaking. Atleast that is my theory.

Some instituations have adopted "viruses" but probably because the "us" to "i" rule is rarely applied due to it's oddness that I'm sure people out of their lazyness attached the "s" or "es" ending that is used with most other words to "virus" thus creating such word. I guess the usage bacame so rampant that it was added. Still feels wrong to me. Virii is still wrong too.

QuoteAnd next time, have the respect to capitalize American if you're referring to the US language - we may have an oaf in the White House, but we're not all like that. :roll:

Ah you caught that eh ? I will not capitalize "american" unless it is refering to a person from America (which I do capitalize) but that covers anyone from two contentants which is too general for my tastes so if I am speaking of someone from the United States I will refer to them as such or just U.S./US for short.

I have never heard of this language "american". I do belive the offical language of the U.S. is english. There is a U.S. verision of english which I recognize (color = colour) but as far as I know there is no lanugage "american".

I will pass on my regrets for your country having an "oaf" as a leader as I'm sure the rest of the world does as well.

QuoteJust kidding - I love our cousins across the Big Spit!!  8)

I'm all for the love. :) Oh BTW I'm Canadian, that small country tuck away down there unless you consider Lake Ontario a "Big Spit". ;)

Andrew

lovekraft0

Quote from: The Tone GodBack in my schooling days, which is not that long ago, I was taught the Latin style nomenclature. Under such the plural of virus is indeed viri but so is virus oddly enough. Virus did not get a plural designation so it is both plural and singular as is viri which can be used in substitution of virus in most cases.
Then my only question is if viri is the plural of virus, what is the plural of vir, meaning "man"?  :roll: I'd be willing to give you vira, or even virora at a stretch, but since the word viri already exists in Latin as the plural of vir, it can't also be the plural for virus. :D
QuoteI will not capitalize "american" unless it is refering to a person from America (which I do capitalize) but that covers anyone from two contentants which is too general for my tastes so if I am speaking of someone from the United States I will refer to them as such or just U.S./US for short.
You made the choice when you used the term "American" to refer to the language - if you capitalize "English", you must capitalize "American". Parity is necessary, anything else shows disrespect. And you know how we are about that!  :wink:
QuoteI'm all for the love. :) Oh BTW I'm Canadian, that small country tuck away down there unless you consider Lake Ontario a "Big Spit". ;)
So you haven't any real reason to be smug about the language, being an "American" yourself! BTW, thanks for Rush, the Guess Who, Red Ryder and Steppenwolf :D (the less said about Alanis, the better - that was as much our fault as it was yours).

BTW, you do know this is all meant in the spirit of fun, right? I don't want a little academic banter to start an international (or in this case, intracontinental?) incident, so if I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies in advance. Mea culpa, so to speak.

zachary vex

buy a mac.  i've been using one for years.  no trouble at all.  love it.

i have been receiving virus emails from people on this and other forums for a long time... more than 3 years, i'd say.  i've also had lots of people contact me (not recently) saying that they've received emails addressed from me that contained viruses, and i've received RETURN emails from automated responders that rejected emails spoofed from my address, which i attempted to sleuth using spamcop.com (although that site has changed quite a bit) and i could never figure out where they were coming from.  it's all quite annoying.

so buy a mac.  that's all i can say.  if everyone bought a mac, the hackers and spammers would have to learn new tricks, i guess.