SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by troubledtom, December 06, 2004, 11:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

Interesting info about BE, AE and CE.

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

Hey, we've also got Canadian English guys...  :lol:

We also have Canadian French, but I wonder if there is French French (French from France)  :?:  :?:

Not to start a war, just for the fun of it...  :wink:

Gilles C

The Tone God

Quote from: lovekraft0Then my only question is if viri is the plural of virus, what is the plural of vir, meaning "man"?  :roll: I'd be willing to give you vira, or even virora at a stretch, but since the word viri already exists in Latin as the plural of vir, it can't also be the plural for virus. :D

If we were talking purely latin then you would be correct but remember that english is a language that derives from many other languages so while in latin you would not use vir/viri by taking the rule from latin but applying it to english, which in turns apply to the latin wording, then it does apply. The word "virus" or other similar inflections do occur in other languages that english has in it's history.

QuoteYou made the choice when you used the term "American" to refer to the language - if you capitalize "English", you must capitalize "American". Parity is necessary, anything else shows disrespect. And you know how we are about that!  :wink:

I used used american when refering to the pseudo-language english that the U.S. speaks. Its true the I choose to escilate English intentionally but that was my suddle way of ribbing the "brotheren to the southeren". Its in good fun. ;)

QuoteSo you haven't any real reason to be smug about the language, being an "American" yourself! BTW, thanks for Rush, the Guess Who, Red Ryder and Steppenwolf :D (the less said about Alanis, the better - that was as much our fault as it was yours).

Oh I'm not smug about it. I just occasionally run into people in the U.S. who say things like "I speak american" in which I generally respond with something like "Funny, I speak english." Sorry about Dion though.

QuoteBTW, you do know this is all meant in the spirit of fun, right? I don't want a little academic banter to start an international (or in this case, intracontinental?) incident, so if I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies in advance. Mea culpa, so to speak.

I'm offended that you suggest that I could be offended. Thats it! I'm leaving this forum!!! Wheres the door ? Way over there ?!? I'm too lazy to walk over there. Umm...okay everyone can rejoice at my return. ;)

I do have a sense of humour or should that be humor ? ;)

QuoteHey, we've also got Canadian English guys... Laughing

We also have Canadian French, but I wonder if there is French French (French from France) Question Question

Thats true. There actually is Canadian english and french. The french is different in a number of ways for other french spoken around the world. I do get alittle bit of a sense of irony when people from the U.S. go to Quebec and the taps in the bathroom are labeled "C" and "F". Man do they get a surprise. hehehe.

Andrew