HELP! Is there a quick mod to give a DS-1 more Gain??

Started by Coley, September 01, 2003, 02:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coley

help!

I just got called for a new band practice today, and The sound is really heavey. like deftones stuff, or hard-core/ metal. heh, I know, dont criticize the music...

but, right now the only distortion pedal I have is my stock DS-1. is there a simple mod I can do to give it a heavier sound? I play a jazzmaster (bridge SD hot, neck Fender vintage) into a fender bassman head and 2x12 cab.

I know i probably cant geta  huge change in sound, but is there anything that can get me one step closer to say.. a metal-type pedal?

thanks,
coley

gez

Congratulations Coley, you play the coolest guitar in the world!  I've had my 60s Jazzmaster for over 15 years now and I love it to pieces, warts and all.  

Can't help much with your question other than stick a booster in front of your distortion.  Jazzmasters CAN sound huge though so don't dispair!  I'm not a metal head but an old friend of mine was/is, whenever he played my equipment he got sounds from my guitar that I never knew were possible!  I envied him but I suppose it's all 'aural conditioning', Metal is all he ever listened to - if you know what you want to hear you'll find a way of getting it.

Good luck on your quest!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Deep Blue

I just modded my DS-1 using www.indyguitarists.com's mod sheet and parts.  It only cost me $5, and it sounds _fantastic_.  It's a whole new pedal.  I highly suggest his mod.  Specify to him what you are looking for (IE, more gain) and he'll give you the parts for just $5, and a mod sheet for just $1, unless you are a memeber of his newsletter, in which case it's free.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

Coley

heh.. It's a reissue. Right now, I was actually thinking of selling it.

Its a beat up sunburst. it's suppoised ot look 'vinatge' but the previous owner just whacked the shit out of it.

I really do love my JM, but for now i think i may get something a little lighter, and cheaper. the bands im in now are very energetic, and i dont really want to accidentally break a $700 guitar. I'll get anopther one sooner or later though. ie. im getting a job soon.

a white one would be nice. i LOVE the way the 70's necks look. with the wide headstock and white binding. but it seems the only way to get one of thos ei to shell out at least $1000

ah, we'll see