TS TANTALIUM CAPS

Started by Ricardo Antunes, December 07, 2004, 05:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo Antunes

Hy friends!!!
About the two tantalium capacitors in the TS circuit, can they be changed to a poly film, ceramic, electrolitic or what?

Thanks  :D
Ricardo Antunes
Brazil

MartyMart

I would go with polyester/Metal film for those values,  then install as "non polar"  either way around.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Peter Snowberg

For better sound clarity I would choose any type of film cap, especially high ESL film caps like inexpensive Xicon "greenies".

It is always funny to me that clarity is important in distortion circuits. :D

It may be that the ultimate TS sound has as a component, the non-linear distortion of the tantalums. :shock:

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

I gave up looking for 9V mojo in Ceramic Caps and Tants a while back. If it's there, you canhave it !!!
 They sure work good when that is what you have. Hard really to tell a different in just one cap type, linked in a chain IME, most of the time.
 Someone suggested you can't find the difference if you 'hide them in Picofarads'. Across Q2 B/C junction in a FF though, Mica 'beat' ceramic...I just go figure it's all application and tend to stay away from liberal use of ceramics.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gus

I been saying that for years about the TS and tants.

How many of you here have heard a REAL 808 that has the sound???

Thats why I when I see people saying they got the TS clone just like the real 808 I don't believe it.   I have been unable to find a tant that has the sound of  a few of the 808s I have heard.  I have found a cap that is close but not 100%.  The tants in the 808s that sounded good had no markings but the .22uf

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If there is a difference (and there could well be, depending on the circuit), remember that a particular type of cap might be "good" (in an a FX sense) because it is "bad" (in an electronic engineerign 'ideal capacitor' sense).
Where I have found tants necessary, is in circuits that need high capacitance (100mF) and very low leakage. (this wasn't a tone problem though).