Suggestions, please

Started by macula56, December 07, 2004, 09:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macula56

I want to build something to overdrive my bassman. sort of a clean boost/ overdrive pedal. or maybe a two channel affair like the time machine boost pedal. or a single channel with a boost function. there are so many diy pedals on the web that i don't really know where to start. some of the sound samples that i've heard sound pretty good but i don't know what they are being played through, what type guitar, etc. does anyone have any good suggestions as to where to start? thanks, and this is a great forum. i wish you'd go ahead with the separate tube fx section.

petemoore

I'd start with a test jig, and a few inexpensive booster boards / offboard pots only.
 Build a box for 'the 1rst stringer', chosen from the builds.
 Try the boxxed one, now it has jacks and bypass, with the others one by one inthe testjig.
 Then maybe decide one booster in a row is plenty, if it's the right one, I use Stratoblaster, Fetzer may be what your amp likes, being it's a Fender based CCt.
 MiniBOoster...
 Tube Reamer
 Try some of these in the test Jig, a great box, I think, from your descript would have a Mild to Crunch OD like Reamer on the 'other side' of the bypass switch...ie where the jumper would go on the DPDT for BP.
  When My amps set low volume I need to re-tweek knobs on boxes. Being able to tweek volume on both sides of a DPDT is a nice option IMO, especially useful for kikking in OD Stages to the Tube Amp.
 If you want harder Dist, add boost to the Reamer or look at a diode to ground clipper like the DIST+, or pick a discrete circuit that does what you want it to for the higher gain side.
 Having two circuits on either side of a DPDT is nice, you can tune each side to do what you want, and get from 'here' to 'there' with one push, not having to do a dance to 'put out the fires' or have a low output interval between turning one off and the other on.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AL

I use a '67 Bassman and run a Tube Screamer and an AMZ Mosfet Boost. The LPB-2 works really well also. I get nice overdrive at lower volumes with the TS and I use the AMZ boost as a volume boost.

AL

macula56

thanks for the input. i'm tired of the tube screamer type pedals. i saw something called a Bad Bob that's based on the original MiniBooster. i think i'll make one with two sides. regular boost and a little more distortion and switch between them like the TMB pedal. thanks again. this forum kicks ass.