cheap 9v batteries

Started by Brian Marshall, December 08, 2004, 01:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

This is not really a secret, but i've been meaning to post this for a while.  Home depot sells 6 packs of enegizers for 8.49.  That is less than $1.50 each, which i what you usually pay for the really crummy "heavy duty" batteries

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

D Wagner

Speaking of cheap batteries, the DollarTree store has Panasonic 9V 2-packs for $1.  At $0.50 each, I couldn't pass them up.  They are expiration dated 2009, and tested at over 9V.

Derek

Fret Wire

If you have one of those "Dollar Stores" near you, they usually have good battery deals. This time of year, check near the toy dept., always the Xmas battery deals.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

petemoore

Rechargable alkalines.
 between 7-9 volts for best results.
 Can be recharged.
 Internal resistance increases...each time
 best done just before discharge is needed, shelf life is limited.
 I get alot more juice from these types for bench use. Start one charging from 7V, and by the time you've got your DIST + done the battery should read about 9V, and be good for *hours [after first recharge].
 *depending on conditions
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Torchy

Dragonfly

...i get the "dollar store" ones (dollar general) as well...at 2 for $1, theyre a great deal, and i think they sound better than energizers in most fuzz circuits....

however, thanks for the "heads up"...i could use some energizers for other things !

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There was a comparison in (I think) the old Poptronics a few years ago, on the 'name' batteries, and they all rated the same except, energizers were WORSE, presumeably they spent all the money on advertising rather than manganese dioxide (the most expensive ingredient).
I think all batteries are subcontracted from China, so what any current battery has in it would be a mystery.
I just buy 'cheapest available' & ignore all labels.
If you had dealers scales, I suspect the HEAVIER a battery is, the better.
(I've seen those big 6v Dolphin torch batteries tht turned out to have 4 D cells joined inside!! with a lot of air!! but you didn't need scales to tell).

Hal

Quote from: petemooreRechargable alkalines.
 between 7-9 volts for best results.
 Can be recharged.
 Internal resistance increases...each time
 best done just before discharge is needed, shelf life is limited.
 I get alot more juice from these types for bench use. Start one charging from 7V, and by the time you've got your DIST + done the battery should read about 9V, and be good for *hours [after first recharge].
 *depending on conditions

at what current and voltage?  Or rather...do you need to regulate current if the voltage is right... ?

Torchy

Dragonfly

Quote from: TorchyOh dear God I hope Eric Johnson doesnt read this  :wink:

you didnt know ?????  

"Paul Perry" is really Eric Johnsons' alter ego !!!   :twisted:

Brian Marshall

Well i can tell you from my own un-scientific tests that Energizers last longer than any other normal priced battery that i have tried except for duracels.  Duracels are actually larger and have larger cells, but i find that they sometimes dont fit in things very well.

Now There are some other types of batteries that are really good for remote controls and such that have ultra long shelf life, but dont really last any longer in a pedal, because you use the current up to fast.... I believe total power (or electrons) a battery can deliver until its depleated is measured in joules???? right wrong?

airhole

" I believe total power (or electrons) a battery can deliver until its depleated is measured in joules???? right wrong?"

I do believe its in mAh, milliampere hours...  they have a graph curve that tells you how it works.... like how long it takes you to drain from 12V (Energizers I have measured started from 12V) to 9.5V to 7V to 5V with a certain current rating...

you can check out at their websites, they rate batteries in mAh....

cheers,
George

ErikMiller

Every pedal I ship goes out with a Walgreen's 9V alkaline.

They sell 8-packs for $9. That's the regular price. They often have them on discounts that put them below $1 a battery.

moogatroid2000

QuoteTorchy wrote:
Oh dear God I hope Eric Johnson doesnt read this  

He doesn't have to read it. He can hear it! :lol:
live and learn.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Posssibly putting a tight rubber band around a battery would squeeze a few more electrons out :wink:

dadude

I was at a $.99 store yesterday and they had Panasonic Heavy Duties (the blue ones) on the shelf. I usually get the Panasonic Home (red ones). I asked the guy who owned the place if he had the Home ones in 9V. He told me they were the same.  I was apprehensive but hey they were $.99 for two. I went home and did a search on the internet and found they are the same carbon-zinc 9V as the Home ones. Fuzz ahoy mates!!!

troubledtom

Quote from: moogatroid2000
QuoteTorchy wrote:
Oh dear God I hope Eric Johnson doesnt read this  

He doesn't have to read it. He can hear it! :lol:

last two times i saw EJ he sucked and so did his sound, sad to say :evil:  :x .
  i've seen him at a privite party too, same story.
               sad but true,
                     - tt