amp generating loud humm and hiss

Started by tambek, December 08, 2004, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tambek

:D

I just got some of that zinc paint spray... I sprayed it into the cavities (caviats?)... Now the next thing is to somehow shield the pickups... Aluminium tape would probably do it the best way, but the store is closed and i'm stuck with thios can of spray and foil...

I would rather use the foil.

Any suggestions?

Should I connect the shield to ground? May the screws that hold the pickups in place, touch the shield? I recall from somewhere, that this might introduce me to some ground loop?

I should get a webcam or digicam so I could take pictures...

EDIT: Also, is it okay to use a 47nJ630 (i have no idea how to read the value.. maybe its .47uF, 630V? ) cap instead of the .33uf, 400V suggested in the tutorial at guitarnuts?

Paul Marossy

I don't know that you have to actually shield the pickups themselves - it ought to be enough to shield just the pickup cavities. And, yes, the shielding must be connected to ground or else it won't do you any good.

tambek

OK.. here comes something all newbies can learn from:  :D

I needed to paint some details very precisely, so i just sprayd some of that paint into a little bottle with a cap.
I painted the stuff i needed and it was great. Then I left the cap on the bottle for the night and as I woke up, I thought i need to paint another layer on some spots, the moment i tried to turn the cap, the cap flew of the bottle and the paint was spraying all over my bedroom  :lol:

I wonder how I can get it off of my computer. It's a zinc-paint 90% zinc...