Transformer quantities of spydar.

Started by John Egerton, December 08, 2004, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Egerton

We all know by now that the spydar is the daddy of power supplies... Howevr I have arount 15 pedals in my rig... Is it really feasible to have 15 transformers and regulators in the same box (a big one)?

Even though its not perfect... Maybe daisy chaining a few would be more feasible.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

JOhn
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

R.G.

It is feasible, but clumsy.

The Spyder is a heavy-duty solution. Many people can get by without it, and very often you can get by with only some pedals isolated.

The bad boys are always the high gain fuzz devices. Bigger gain makes any unwanted noise worse, so if you isolate the high gain ones, the problem gets much smaller on those gain-of-one time delay thingies.

Mess about - try daisy chaining some and see.

The real answer, alas, is to build two of my multiwinding Spyder transformers.

I have another answer in the wings, though. I have a way cooked up to provide isolated 9V without using a transformer to do it. Gotta have time to work on it, though. Mother Nature may be hiding a snake in there.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

niftydog

QuoteWhat do you guys think?

If you're gonna daisy chain any of them together, than you may as well just stick with one honking big transformer. As soon as you daisy chain, you destroy the isolation aspect of the Spyder and you're straight back into potential ground loops.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)