"Jack socket prices". . . . . a warning and rant

Started by MartyMart, December 10, 2004, 06:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I'll try to keep this short......  e-hem,
Some months ago I bought 30 "open backed" jack sockets from "Maplins"  in the UK, 15 mono and 15 stereo, they were part of a large order, so ended up costing about 79 pence each. ( 1.5 dollars )
They are "switchcraft" type sockets, and are not bad quality, unless you "over tighten" them at which point they start "spinning" inside the enclosure and shearing off your soldered leads !!
I've also had some of the "plastic" barrel type, but seem to "melt" them all too easily, they also take up far too much room in a little Hammond box !.
Today, as i've run out of jacks, I nipped down to my "Local" RS components ( Not radio shack by the way )  to try and get some "Real Switchcraft" sockets...........
They cost £4.20  Each  !!!!! arrrgghhh ( thats almost 10 bucks )
Why are "RS" who are supposed to be "trade only" selling stuff at such "inflated" prices ?
I had to prove that I was running a buisness, before I could buy from them  !!!!
So I bought the "Plastic" type for 99pence each . . . . . . .
Be warned, "RS Components" are SOOOO EXPENSIVE !!!!

Marty :twisted:

EDIT: If someone knows a UK company who supply "open" jacks at a reasonable price PLEASE let me know !! :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

KevinHart

So true about RS in the UK.  The other problem with tem is the £5 handling fee and the £5 postage, thats another tenner ($15) just to get the stuff!  Only good thing is that they have a huge sock of components.

Maplin are much cheaper and do things in smaller quantaties and the handling is a few quid, but they do not carry the stock level.

I wanted a J201 FET for the Queen May at ROG, Maplin did not have them and RS only sold them in tens. With the handling and P&P it worked out to £17  ($25) and I only wanted one!

I eventually bought them from Stuart Castledine at http://www.wah-wah.co.uk  for £1 including PP..Nice chap and has most of the components that you might need for effects pedals.

LeeM

Hi, Marty, where in london are you? does RS components only sell to trades? there one right near me (Bow)...

birt

Quote from: TorchyMono open-style for 32pence each
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/esr/

These are the ones I use, although they are a bit bigger than open-style sockets. They are 36 pence each  :shock:

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=30193&STK_PROD_CODE=M28818&XPAGENO=2

yep these are good.
in those open ones it's the ring connection that starts turning so i usually put something between that and the next connection when tightening them so they don't touch
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

KevinHart

Thanks for the extra links for components Torchy, the ESR one looks very good and cheap!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't buy from RS, but I do buy (sometimes) from their competitor Farnell. Who aren't cheap either... but, it is impressive, that 1. they have what one wants, and 2. it is in your hand the next day. The fact is, they aren't looking for DIY customers, they are serving companies & research labs where it costs a hell of a lot more than 5 quid to hold a project up for a few days.
But I think it is pretty unfair to complain that a Switchcraft socket costs 5 times what a "switchcraft type" socket from Maplin does.. especially after noting that you can bugger the latter by overtightening!!!
The point is, when you buy from RS or Farnell, you aren't paying for the component so much as for the convenience.
As before, by RS here I don't mean Radio Shack!

gez

Merry Christmas:

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2993.html

Scroll down for the open type.

I haven't got round to using this firm (London based) so you might want to hold the yo ho ho...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

LeeM

jesus, there quite a few of us londoners here  :)

MartyMart

Thanks guy's !
Nice link's there, I dont want to be too harsh, but I just find that the "RS trade only" prices to be a joke!!
Thats the price of convenience I guess ?
IMO  the "Maplins" switchcraft type, are really OK, just my socket wrench skills are that of an ape ! LOL

Nice sockets for 36p sounds TOO good  :D

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cd

If your jacks are "spinning" you need to use a lock washer in between the jack and the box, on the inside.  The lock washer has little teeth which dig into the box and jack to prevent the spinning and over tightening.

petemoore

Cheep Jacks, need instructions they don't come with.
 They are not so good when they start coming loose as you tighten them.
 I just grab from the inside of the box the ground tab and whatever else, then tighten carefully, and can get 'm in without loosening them apart at all.
 If the inside 'turn's' unduly, the jack is basically loose and garbage, and there's nothing I can figure to do for them except replace them or put up with their intermittancies...not a happy scenario.
 Anyway they can be used just fine, if they go in good.
 Better jacks are 'better'...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

birt

Quote from: petemooreCheep Jacks, need instructions they don't come with.
 They are not so good when they start coming loose as you tighten them.
 I just grab from the inside of the box the ground tab and whatever else, then tighten carefully, and can get 'm in without loosening them apart at all.
 If the inside 'turn's' unduly, the jack is basically loose and garbage, and there's nothing I can figure to do for them except replace them or put up with their intermittancies...not a happy scenario.
 Anyway they can be used just fine, if they go in good.
 Better jacks are 'better'...

the only solution i know for jack sockets or switches that are loose and you can't tighten up is epoxy :D
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Dirk_Hendrik

@ Birt, Hoi Birt :wink:

For the rest of us,
If you don't have a problem with the plastic jacks (And I dont since I always use PCB mounted jacks) check Dakro69 on ebay. He sells Re-An type of jacks at 1 dollar for 6 pcs. This may not be switchcraft stuff but the drifference between over 4 pounds or 16 dollarcents is something I consider considerable. And for us in Europe, Yes, he does ship international.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Satch12879

The cheap ones are just that, cheap.  The real Switchcraft jacks don't spin when you tighten them.  10 beans is quite a lot... is that because they are imported from the US?
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

David

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik@ Birt, Hoi Birt :wink:

For the rest of us,
If you don't have a problem with the plastic jacks (And I dont since I always use PCB mounted jacks) check Dakro69 on ebay. He sells Re-An type of jacks at 1 dollar for 6 pcs. This may not be switchcraft stuff but the drifference between over 4 pounds or 16 dollarcents is something I consider considerable. And for us in Europe, Yes, he does ship international.

I bought a bunch of these last month.  Doesn't seem like you could go wrong.

Johnny G

i buy all my stuff from rapid electronics. they havnt got as big a selection as RS but they have most things and postage is free on orders over £25 so in future when i buy stuff im just gonna buy everything i need for about 10 FX.

the only things they dont have are stomp switches and 100k log pots in the nice 16m diameter i like. they have a range of lovelly 16 mm pots with most things you could need but only 4k7 and 1meg log pots. you have to use the big 22 mil carbon ones with the shaft thats extra long and you have to trim down if you want anything else.
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

gez

Quote from: Johnny Gthe only things they dont have are stomp switches and 100k log pots in the nice 16m diameter i like.

If you mean the Alpha 16mm pots, then ESR sell 100k log.

ESR sell stomp swiches too, only £2.10 (excluding VAT).  

www.esr.co.uk

Between ESR and Rapid (both excellent firms) I get most of what I need...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter