Finally happy!

Started by jimbob, December 10, 2004, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I have spent a long time searching for what id call the perfect Wah sound and finally got it-Sooo very happy with it- And this is after selling a vintage Thomas Organ Co. wah, New vox 847, and 535q.

I had a shell I had painted 3 times diff colors- black-red-silver and it was chipped all over so the other colors bleed through- looks cool to me..anyway= I have a blue Northstar pot, yellow fasel inductor, 2n222 - mpsa18 trannys, 5p2t cap selector switch (only using 4 of them though- .01.015, ect. Also added a 3pdt switch for true bypass and an led - to tell me its on- also added an "output buffer" from Phillips site-btw-i used alot of his specs from the Axis Wah. Lots of wired but there all tied down neatly-
Im excited about this as i been looking for this sound for some time now. Ill try to get some pics of once i find someway.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Transmogrifox

If you ever get sound clips, it would be cool to hear it.  I think a wah wah is one of those things that can't generically please every guitar player, so the DIY thing is about the only way to get your perfect wah sound.  I'm glad you came across it.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

jmusser

Did you use an Original Crybaby to do these mods to?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jimbob

I actually had an empty gcb-95 shell lying around so I had a rtspcb from GGG and socketed it in many modable places as described at Phillips site for his Axis wah and Stewart Castledine UK wah site and GEO site and tried out as many things as I had parts for. For the cap selector switch and the led I had to use a drill and put a few holes in it.
Im so pleased with my new sound that Im debating selling my last commercial wah(535q crybaby) and building another from scratch. It was all A LOT easier than I thought it would be. When something didnt work- I went back until it did ect.. over and over- esp for the sound.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jmusser

I'm glad it all worked out and you got the sound you wanted. That's what it's all about.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".