The ever elusive 'thing modulator chip'

Started by panasonic_youth, December 11, 2004, 02:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

so i have settled on the 'thing modulator' as my first project. easy enough, very small, but where the hell can you get an LMC567?!?! i cant find it, not at smallbear, radioshack, or mouser!

guitarhacknoise

also:
digi-key,
cmos version,
# lmc567cn-nd @ $1.89
or non-cmos,
#lm567cn-nd @ .77
not sure how the non-cmos will work, if anyone knows?
-matthias
"It'll never work."

{ antonio }

please keep in mind that you can only use the LMC567 Chip for this circuit.  i tried to the LM 567 for this and i found out that you have to mod the circuit to get it to work.  

just thought i would save you some trouble.  antonio.
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

toneman

Mouser's got em ---

513-NJM567M......31cents  8pin DIP  in stock

not CMOS version, but don't think it matters

"thing modulator"(?)
same idea as Anderton's EPFM RingModulator?
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

guitarhacknoise

toneman,
way simple,
http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
antonio,
thanks for the info!
in what way did you need to alter the circuit?
-matthias
"It'll never work."

Tim Escobedo

'Tis true, you're not likely to find a LMC567 at the neighborhood parts shop. However, as pointed out, Digikey seems the easiest way to obtain one.

panasonic_youth

nah, did a little searching, and for what im using it for i wont need to use the LMC chip. the reason tim changed it is because of all the noise he was getting  from it when it was off w/ the LM chip, so he added the cap and the resistor from the + into the LMC567. from what i read if i use the LM567 and take out that resistor and cap it wont matter, i'll just get fuzz. it doesnt matter to me thouhg, i have a breadboard.

Tim Escobedo

Using the LM567 won't give you fuzz so much as a ring modulator-like effect with lots of constant oscillator feedthrough. Using the LMC567 and the RC network cuts back the oscillator feedthrough to a more reasonable level, giving a more usable ring modulator sound with a internal oscillator that quiets significantly when the input signal is low.

panasonic_youth

alright, thanks tim, would the one at mouser work?