New From the Beeb - Gyrator Design Article!

Started by lovekraft0, December 11, 2004, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lovekraft0

A white paper from the BBC -
The Taming of The Gyrator
Optimizing, with all the design math you'll ever need! Might be worth a look!

spongebob

Nice link, didn't know the BBC is publishing articles on electronics, at least they are doing something useful with taxpayer's money! :lol:

Peter Snowberg

Cool link. 8) Thanks a lot! :D

This is probably another one of those "everyone should read" sort of things. 8)

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

george

ermm ... pardon my ignorance, but what do you use it for?

Michael Allen

A gyrator can be used to replace an inductor. John Hollis created a wah that used gyrators..

lightningfingers

that wah that hollis made was very noisy, i breadboarded it a while back
U N D E F I N E D

george

thanks for the headsup!

Maybe John Hollis was using an "untamed" gyrator ... :evil:

(doug harrison)

What is that funny-looking W in the math formulas???

Jason Stout

QuoteWhat is that funny-looking W in the math formulas???

The Greek letter omega ω ( lower case ) is used for angular frequency, or frequency in radians/sec.

Edit: I often forget that the symbol for Ohms is capital omega Ω.
Jason Stout

Paul Marossy

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.  8)

Dirk_Hendrik

Check about every modern pedal eq like the GE-7, MXR, Electro-harmonix and Ibanez. They all utilize gyrators for making their RC"L" circuits. In these cases the "L" is replaced by a gyrator. As far as I remember the Ibanez SM-9/SML/MS10 and the Boss HM-2 use some in their tone/voicing circuits.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

smashinator

Say, does anyone know where the term "White Paper" came from?  What causes something to be a "white paper" as opposed to a "report" or an "article"?

Just one of those things I wonder about...
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Paul Marossy

The other thing that is kind of strange is why did the BBC, of all organizations, publish that article? Usually, something like that would come out of a university or something...

gez

Quote from: Paul MarossyThe other thing that is kind of strange is why did the BBC, of all organizations, publish that article? Usually, something like that would come out of a university or something...

Might have something to do with the 'Open University'.  This institution works hand in hand with the Beeb, enabling many who failed (were failed by?) our education system, as well as single mothers and, er, prisoners etc, to study a degree-level course in their spare time and better their lives/impress their mates on D-wing...

Just a guess (news to me that they did this sort of thing too).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Marossy

gez

Quote from: Paul Marossygez-

Oh, I see. That's a cool concept.  8)

I'm sure there are some who are a bit miffed that tax payers money goes towards this sort of thing, but I'm totally ok with it.  I am a bit bias though Paul as my Dad used to teach for the OU, so I've seen first hand how it's changed people's lives.   8)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

davebungo

The BBC have their own R&D department and as such they publish technical papers and reports like many other similar companies/organizations.  If you're interested the Audio Engineering Society (AES) publish tons of really interesting papers on audio but unfortunately you have to purchase most of them from their web-site (unless you know someone who gets the monthly journal).

Paul Marossy

I still think that is very cool. Not everyone is presented the same opportunities in life, and something like this would give some people an opportunity that they wouldn't otherwise have.  8)

Ben N

Leave it to the BBC to use a Shakespearean reference for a technical electronics paper.  :)

B
  • SUPPORTER