New From the Beeb - Gyrator Design Article!

Started by lovekraft0, December 11, 2004, 04:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(doug harrison)

Jason Stout- Thank you. Before asking here, I looked it up in a couple of textbooks. I got an upside down y for angle. It could have been for degrees instead of radians, though.

There is a gyrator circuit at R.G.'s website that uses only one op-amp. Parametric eq circuit. Sounds good scooping the midrange out of a PAIA Hot Springs reverb return signal in a four track cassette set-up. I built that one about three or four years ago. (Thanks R.G.)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

[quote="gezI'm sure there are some who are a bit miffed that tax payers money goes towards this sort of thing, but I'm totally ok with it)[/quote]

It's a hangover from the "old days", when there was this quaint view that if people did research & freely gave it to people, then the world would be a better place. Universities, Govt research orgs etc all did this.
Now, the fashion is to cut all this out, so the only research is done privately with an aim to making profits.
Sure you save a bit of taxpayer funding, but the 'general public' is much worse off, because they have to pay for the research anyway (when they buy the product, whihc is now a monopoly).
One of the last bastions of free research, is Aron's Stompbox Forum. :wink:
Once the BBC licence fees go, so will the research department. A lot of people are working on making his happen.

BTW "white papers" were originally Government body research reports publicly circulated to gather more input. Other colors were used for security classification etc, or to indicarte where they were from, like Parliamentary "blue books".

gez

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)It's a hangover from the "old days", when there was this quaint view that if people did research & freely gave it to people, then the world would be a better place. Universities, Govt research orgs etc all did this.
Now, the fashion is to cut all this out, so the only research is done privately with an aim to making profits.

Paul, you might be interested in the following radio programme (it'll only be online for about a week) that was on the other day.  Covers some of the issues you mentioned.  It's a BBC programme...naturally!  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/rams/tue2002.ram
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter