What wire to use?

Started by Dylan, December 11, 2004, 07:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan

I'm just wondering if any of you use shielded wire for the bypassed signal or just use the plain multistrand stuff? Is it worth using?

petemoore

There's probably a page on this subject somewhere...
 I'll give it a shot.
 Shielded wire is mostly not necessary if
 Keep input and output wires separate [not running along with eachother]
 Use shielded box connected to cct ground.
 ----------------------------------------------
 High gain cct's may require shielding to lower noise or preven oscillation.
 I keep switch next to jacks. Input of a circuit [high gain] I think may need shieldnig, is next to the switch, this puts everything in the signal path together with short wires, except the Board/output pot wire back to switch which is long, this I shield.
 For my multi circuit boxes, which are flat and long, I follow the above method using short switch wires from 1rst board output to 2nd board input, by putting the switch right next to or between them.
 I'm sure there's more, like keeping PS's away from circuit signal paths.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mike Burgundy

For wires like this the minute benifits (how longs that itty bitty bit of wire anyway) don't weigh up to the hassle of grounding all those leads, in a way that doesn't introduce noise or hum.
Long lines, lines *outside of a shielded box*, lines forced *really* close to a high-gain circuit, that sort of stuff needs protection. A tiny wire inside the box, not (almost) stuck to active, high voltage or high current bits of the circuit should be fine.

Dylan

I always thought it was a bit of a mojo thing. I try and keep my input/output wires on opposite sides of an enclosure and not cross them. Sounds like that should be enough.