I'm new here and have a stupidly simple question!

Started by gnugear, December 13, 2004, 12:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnugear

I just built a Rangemaster treble booster clone which is operated by battery only. I want to disconnect the battery and run it off an AC power adapter. I've read that the Rangemaster clone has a positive tip whereas most Boss type pedals have a negative tip. I want to daisy chain the effect, so is there a way to convert it to a negative tip??

Is it as simple as reversing the wires?

black mariah

You have to reverse the polarity of any electrolytic caps, change any PNP transistors to NPN, then pray that it actually still works. It would be easiest to build a new one from the ground up.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Just get a power supply plugpack with the right polarity, and live with the fact that you need at least two plugpacks, one for it, and one for the other FX boxes. Apart from that, the Rangemaster will live happily with the other fx.
I assume that your question was about daisychaining the effects, not the power supplies.

Mark Hammer

Not at all stupid to wonder if monkeying with the power supply orientation can be harmful to your health or effects.

You may be new here, but you show a capacity to arrive at the critical questions easily.

Samuel

The reason that you have been giving warnings is that the Rangemaster is typically positive ground, whereas Boss effects (and most others) are negative ground. Connecting a positive ground effect to the power supply of a negative ground effect will be zorch city, so that's why you've been advised to avoid mixing them.

Samuel

To clarify: this is a deeper problem than the arrangement of the wires in the power supply (negative or positive tip)...

Gilles C

It's better to ask before than after...

My opinion: Keep the original intact, and build a new one with a NPN transistor. You'll have the original to compare the sound with.

It's one of the circuits that will sound different just  by changing the transistor..

Btw, the Fuzz-Face  is another one of these circuits affected by the transistors used.

Gilles C