Thoughts, ideas, criticisms wanted...NEW fuzz pedal design !

Started by Dragonfly, December 13, 2004, 12:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

This is an interesting variation on the Bazz i came up with after talking with a friend about what he wants in a fuzz pedal. I decided to use the Bazz because its a simple circuit, so it facilitates testing of random ideas...plus it sounds pretty darn good !

Anyway, the idea here is to be able to "pan" between a silicon fuzz and a germanium fuzz, effectively mixing whatever amounts you want of each into the overall sound. Since this is my first look at doing something along these lines, i decided to design a simple preamp, with a pregain and tone control up front...that leads to the "pan" pot, which splits to 2 parallel Bazz Fuss circuits, one silicon, one germanium. They both come together at the .1uf output cap, which leads to a volume pot.

That leaves us with the controls...Pregain, Tone, Pan, Fuzz 1, Fuzz 2, and Volume. I also included the standard reverse polarity protection and power supply filtering.

Now, since i wont be able to build a test circuit for a couple days, i was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and see if you find any major "pitfalls", or can spot some area's of improvement. Please, keep in mind that if this works, i may build a similar (non Bazz Fuss oriented)parallel germanium/silicon fuzz pedal to sell...so if you make any suggestions, please don't get mad if i end up using them. I will still keep this schematic, in this form, and with any suggested alterations up for public display, and you are certainly free to build one for yourself. I wanted to be "up front" with my intentions on this subject.

Anyway, with that cleared up, any thoughts/suggestions/criticisms, etc are welcomed....and if not, have fun building this one !!! :)

Andy
Dragonfly FX

petemoore

NOvel And Interesting looking unit there.
 You have sound clip for these ??
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemooreNOvel And Interesting looking unit there.
 You have sound clip for these ??

not yet...i wont have a chance to build it for a few days, but im pretty optimistic, since ive built all the parts "seperately" :)...its kind of a "cookbook" circuit idea for me, using a basic preamp and tone control to push the Bazzes a bit harder, so your not "forced" to use a darlington to get good sustain. Ive played a bit with using 3pdt and 4pdt switches to swap transistors, but ive never tried paralleling circuits with a pan pot. im hoping there wont be too much phase cancellation at the output cap.

the values for pots are all ones ive used in the various "pieces" of the circuit before, so they should work fine. Ive also toyed with the idea of putting a self oscillation circuit on a momentary switch, but im gonna take things one step at a time :)

its just in the idea stage now, and i drew up the schematic using past "building blocks"....see what happens when you have too much time on your hands :D

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

Johnny G

i think that you would actually have to have a seperate output cap for each of the two bazz fuzz circuits since the way you have it hooked up there would the DC biasing from one not effect the biasing of the other?
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

b_rogers

i thought of something similar a few weeks ago, but more like the fuzzrite.
one side germ other sili..

your idea is way cooler...
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/