Small Stone --> Tremolo?

Started by Jack, December 14, 2004, 12:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Is it possible to turn the small stone into a tremolo... ala the red whitch thingy... As opposed to the "tremolo like" effect of cranking the speed.
Cheers

Vsat

Interesting idea! Yes, it should be possible - and 3 of the CA3094 chips could be eliminated, leaving just the one for the LFO and another for a variable-gain amplifier. Look up the schematic for a CA3080-based VCA circuit - this would be similar. The gain would vary in decibels/sec (rather than volts/sec), thanks to the way the LFO circuit drives pin 5 of the CA3094. You could use a pot and series resistor to inject a fixed current into pin 5 to control the depth of the effect (by setting the minimum gain). A load resistor from pin 4 to ground or mid-supply reference would control the overall  gain. Potential issues are hiss and LFO ticking - but these would be the same problems as the Smallstone has by itself... and since only one CA3094 is in the audio path, hiss would be less of a problem. Fun idea - worth giving it a try!
Regards, Mike

Mark Hammer

Hi Mike.  yer up late too, eh?

The phase-filter mod that I keep nagging folks about has an interesting property when the SS is switched into vibrato mode.  While it is NOT a true tremolo, the combination of modulated allpass and lowpass stages has a way of fluctuating in apparent volume because of the fluctuating removal of high end.  It ends up sounding like a strange combination of vibrato, tremolo, and rhythmic wah.  That may be just what you're looking for.

Vsat

Hi Mark,
Ya caught me...
Check out www.pmerecords.com and go to Equipment then Keyboards - incredible collection of PCB jpgs - neat stuff.

I was thinking more on the lines of a simple build-it-from-scratch tremolo. A correction  - I said hang a load resistor from CA3094 pin 4 - it should actually be pin 1 - which is the OTA output pin. Choice of using the internal buffer or not using it - might as well use it.
Regards, Mike

puretube

Note: because of the "hypertriangle-iness" of the SS LFO,
such a tremolo - though doing its job - may not sound as
musically satisfying as expected...