Brown Source PCB layout?

Started by PB Wilson, December 14, 2004, 03:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB Wilson

I was listening to sound clips at Tonefrenzy and checked out the Lovetone Brown Source overdrive. Now I know that the schematic is at Munky's site, but has anyone made a PCB for it?

Mike Burgundy

write "I will always do a search before asking questions I can answer myself" 1000 times ;)

http://prophecysound.com/diyroot/DIYeffects/brownsource/draftlayout.pdf

PB Wilson

OK I'm done writing. Wow, my hand is tired. :wink:

Actually I did a search, but must have missed the one with the layout. Thanks!

RickL

I think there is an error on the layout, or at least a difference between the schematic I have and the layout.

The schematic shows pin 7 of the switch connected to the circuit and pin 8 unconnected. The layout has pin 8 connected and pin 7 unconnected. Also the layout shows four 'common' connections (poles) while the layout and the 3p4t rotary switch I have has three.

It shouldn't be an issue if you're going to connect the switch to the board with wires, as I am. Just run the pad on the board to pin 7 on the switch instead of pin 8. If you're planning on board mounting the switch you'll have to alter the board a bit.

Of course this all assumes I don't have an incorrect version of the schematic.

Rick

jrc4558

David

Quote from: Mike Burgundywrite "I will always do a search before asking questions I can answer myself" 1000 times ;)

http://prophecysound.com/diyroot/DIYeffects/brownsource/draftlayout.pdf

void main()

for (i=1; i<=999; i++)
  {
      printf("I will always do a search before asking questions I can answer myself.\n");
  }
}

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

PB Wilson

Now why didn't I think of that?  :evil:  :wink:

David

Quote from: PB WilsonNow why didn't I think of that?  :evil:  :wink:

Drivin' down the road in mah vee-eight Fode,
I can do mah penance wit' a little bit o' code!

'Cause I'm BAAAADDDDD, I'm nationwide...

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Constantin NecrasovHey, guys! Is that the REAL Hotcake schematic posted there?
http://prophecysound.com/diyroot/DIYeffects/Hotcake/hotcakeschematicv1_1.pdf

From what I understand, no.  The real thing takes advantage of the compensation pins available in the TL071 single op-amp (no room on an 8=pin dual) and there is a transistor involved in that subcircuit as well.  I've seen attempts at reverse-eng draws, and all have noted this aspect, though I can't confirm that any of the draws were accurate other than with respect to the component values and use of the compensation loop.  And that's a "can't" in the sense of "I have no idea", rather than in the sense of not being able to ethically (though that *would* prevent me....if I knew).

You will note that the linked-to drawing has a variable Presence control rather than the toggle switch mid-lift found on the Hot Cake.  The circuit shown may well sound good in its own way, but it ain't a Hot Cake.

jrc4558

How do you do, Mark?
There actuallyu is a version of a Hotcake with three knobs, that's why i decided to ask. :)

Oh well, I'll try the cirquit anyway. Just looking at it it seems she will be too bassy...

bruce bennett

if anyone needs them I have a few of the original Lorlin Nylon rotary switches for these.

7.00 each

bigjonny

Quote from: David
void main()

for (i=1; i<=999; i++)
  {
      printf("I will always do a search before asking questions I can answer myself.\n");
  }
}
Erm, David, that is only 999 times.  You missed one!  :lol: