germanium transistors...

Started by Pierre, December 15, 2004, 11:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre

Hi !!!
Does anybody know what can i do with two AC 187 and two AC 188..?
...I think they are NPN...wright?...A fuzz maybe..?
thank's !!!

Fuzz

Quote from: PierreHi !!!
Does anybody know what can i do with two AC 187 and two AC 188..?
...I think they are NPN...wright?...A fuzz maybe..?
thank's !!!

Hi Pierre!
They're perfect for a Fuzz Face clone, but must be matched! And AC188 is PNP, AC187 NPN. Hope this helps, bye!

Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

Pierre

m.. m.. mat...t... tched  :?:  :roll:  :?:  :roll:
...i mean...i just found them, all four in an old Philips audio device...But i really dont have any idea on how to match this bugs... :oops:

petemoore

Quote from: Pierrem.. m.. mat...t... tched  :?:  :roll:  :?:  :roll:
...i mean...i just found them, all four in an old Philips audio device...But i really dont have any idea on how to match this bugs... :oops:
Don't burn 'em use heat  sinks.
 Look at GEOFEX, then scroll and click your way around.
 Technology of the FF, there's also an article on picking good FF transistors.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fuzz

Yes! They must have the right values of leakage and gain to work fine in a Germanium Fuzz Face! You have to read "the technology of Fuzz Face" on www.geofex.com, absolutely (and thanks R.G.Keen!!!)! You'll learn so much precious things on that site! (just like I've done before  :wink: )

Good luck man!
Fuzz
"...the day I tried to win, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs..."

petemoore

Quote from: Fuzz

Yes! They must have the right values of leakage and gain to work fine in a Germanium Fuzz Face! You have to read "the technology of Fuzz Face" on www.geofex.com, absolutely (and thanks R.G.Keen!!!)! You'll learn so much precious things on that site! (just like I've done before  :wink: )

Good luck man!
Fuzz
Suggestion...hybrid Si Ge FF, more stable, might be a good option.
 I ALways, trimpot Q2 or build Multi Face, socketting transistors and caps is revealing to FF setups / sounds. Consider making a 'testbed' board, as building a FF's board is relatively easily, and there are 1000+ types of FF.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Pierre

WOW !!! Thank you all !!!
Im gonna read RG Keen article, but im affraid i not going to full understand it...
I use my fingers as sinks !!! anyway leads are very long...They are sealed (i dont know if this word describes it) in littles square aluminium cases...
All central leads are isolated...is it possible that they are all NPN's...?
...Also there are very funny "tropical fish" caps in it...but i dont know if they are worth to use them...

God i love this site !!!...

Fuzz

Quote from: PierreWOW !!! Thank you all !!!
Im gonna read RG Keen article, but im affraid i not going to full understand it...
I use my fingers as sinks !!! anyway leads are very long...They are sealed (i dont know if this word describes it) in littles square aluminium cases...
All central leads are isolated...is it possible that they are all NPN's...?
...Also there are very funny "tropical fish" caps in it...but i dont know if they are worth to use them...

God i love this site !!!...

You don't have to be afraid with Keen's explanations, they're my cat proof! :wink:
And NO! As I already said  :twisted: , AC188 are PNP and AC187 are the NPN analogues.
The tropical fish caps are good for vintage reproduction, especially in some wahs.
I don't like hybrid FF (Ge/Si) 'cause they don't seem to give me the same headroom and dynamic, but this is just my opinion.

Bye all!
Fuzz