Condor Cab Sim

Started by dv8, December 16, 2004, 10:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv8

I'm confused on the write-up of the Condor Cab Sim from ROG.

Can this circuit be used as headphone amp? or do I need to build this in combo with some headphone amp?

I was looking for something to use as speaker simulation for direct recording and also for practice with headphones after the kids go to sleep.  I don't need a practice amp that will drive a 4x12 cab.

TIA
-brian

B Tremblay

The Condor is meant to be used between the guitar and the sound card of a computer, mixer, or headphone amp.  It is not meant to replace a headphone amp.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

dv8

thanks for the reply and all the cool ROG projects.  I think I'm gonna place the Condor in a box with headphone amp, so I'll have the option of direct to computer or to headphones.

Mark Hammer

There's no a priori reason to assume it will sound *bad*.  However, understand that it is meant to mimic the properties of a mechanical transducer (speaker) and a resonant cavity (cabinet), when there is nothing acoustic or mechanical in the signal chain (i.e., guitar to pedals to sound card).  Headphones, while obviously not the same thing as a speaker cabinet, still have mechanical properties, resonances, and operate within a resonant space (your ear).  If all of that is ruler flat, then I suppose the Condor should sound the same as going into a sound card.  If it isn't flat, you may get some resonances, but nothing you couldn't tweak with tone controls to your satisfaction.  It won't be an *accurate* mimicking of the designated speaker cabinet, but it will at least get rid of the fizz the same way that large speakers with restricted bandwidth will.  This assumes that your headphones have more than the 6khz bandwidth often found in guitar speakers.