Re-tubing my Marshall TSL 122

Started by WJR, December 17, 2004, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WJR

Hi guys,

First post on this great forum!

I have got some NOS Mullard tubes for my amp so want to change the preamp and power amp tubes for my Marshall ( 4 X ECC83 + 4 X EL34)

They are all perfectly matched and are labelled for V1 etc and the phase inverter has been selected.

Can anyone give me instructions how to retube an amp?

Cheers,

Will J Rees
TQUK

aaronkessman

take off whatever covers there are. pull out the old tubes. push the new ones in.

you say they're "perfectly matched" - do you mean the power tubes have been matched to the ones youve already got? if so, you dont need to rebias your amp.

if not, some people would say that you need to get your amp biased to get optimal tone and tube duration. if you're putting in NOS mullards, I'd want to get the most out of em, which means I would get the amp rebiased by an amp tech.

HTH
Aaron

WJR

Cheers Aaron,

I mean that they are a matched quad so that they will work together to their full potential and that their not mismatched. I can bias amps and the standard Marshall reading for the amp is 90mv. Does that mean i will have to rebias the amp to this after i have inserted the new tubes or does each brand of tube have different biases that they work best at?

Will the bias be affected by both the preamp and power amp tubes?

Thanks again,

Will J Rees
TQUK