stupid mistake with simple LFO...

Started by Hal, December 17, 2004, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

I guess I'll post this becuase it was the object of much of my frustration.  Take heed and don't do it yourself.

I'm making a tremolo with the simple schmitt trigger/integrator LFO for a triangle wave, available everywhere (as well as from Colin).  I couldn't get it to work for anything.  And it worked before.

So to make a long story short, after switching op-amps, dissassembling, switching, etc. etc. I figured the problem.  I was trying to pull too much current, or something like that.  Either way, a 390 ohm resistor - LED - ground from the output of the intergrator amp will do nothing except light the LED.  I finally switched this to 1k5, and got the nice swell i expected from it.  

so frustrating.  I dunno why I had a resistor that low in there in the first place, it was probable the first thing I grabbed/"this is large enough to block current" kinda thing.

puretube

we had a long way, getting Colin`s LFO to work...!!!  :roll:

KMS

Ok, Ive decided that I'm going to build a tremelo for my second pedal, but I keep seeing all this negative stuff.  I'm going to do the Tremulus Lune.    Any pointers would be appreciated.  I'm newbe to this stuf as I have just built one noise gate so anything you tell me will help.

Thanks for the info.

KMS
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds

guitarhacknoise

hey hal,
I've been tweerkin' this lil' guy, off and on (pun somewhat intended) for a couple of weeks now. kinda on a quest to get more control of the speed range.
been spending more time figuring out why it stops working, usually due to a couple o' beers and those little ass breadboard holes!
heres a couple of things I've found:
1. between pins 2 and 7, there is the 47k resister and a 100k pot/variable resister, I've switched that VR to 1M. and dropped the 1uf cap between pins one and two to .068 uf.
now it goes S L O W  to  FAST, probably not that useful for trem but......
2. if you put a 33-47uf electro from output to ground you'll get a pretty nice sawtooth, smaller =faster as larger = slower...........
not that you need this info.......I just happened to be working on it at the same time........Maybe you had some ideas/findings as well?
-matthias
"It'll never work."