Biasing tubes in the EHX Hot Tubes pedal...

Started by triskadecaepyon, December 20, 2004, 09:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triskadecaepyon

Can you bias the tubes in the Electro harmonix HOT TUBES pedal?  I would really like to bias the tubes to make them sound better.  Has anyone biased them before (if at all possible)?  I think I do see a pot to bias the tubes with on the PCB, but I don't feel like risking it if it's not the biasing pot.

aron

Well, what makes you think that the tubes are not biased correctly?

I'd be a careful with that pedal since it does use high voltages inside. If you aren't sure it's a bias pot and how to use it, I wouldn't fool around with it.

triskadecaepyon

they don't even get warm at all when I use the pedal for 1 hour plus.  And no, the pedal is not broken.  I am thinking that I am not taking full advantage of my tubes, so that's why I wanted to know.  Would you think the design would incorporate a bias pot though?

The Tone God

Quote from: triskadecaepyonthey don't even get warm at all when I use the pedal for 1 hour plus. And no, the pedal is not broken.

Well if you hear a sound and the tubes glow then it shoud be ok. Do you mean physically warm ? If so then how hot the tube gets is not neccesarily an indication of how hard the tube is working.

QuoteWould you think the design would incorporate a bias pot though?

Depends. I would guess that the circuit is class A therefore would probably not need a bias pot.

Puretube, any insight ?

Andrew

puretube

nothing to bias in there...
trimpot inside is to set max. Q of the tonecontrol to prevent sqealing.

to "sound better": probably you find it too harsh (?):
turn down the gain knob!
do the distortion with the drive knob.

triskadecaepyon

yeah I guess you are right.  I asked EH and they said it was "self biased" already.  I was looking for a "tube saturation", or subtle overdrive, but not as a distortion pedal.

bruce bennett

the 12ax7 tube doesn't need to be "hot" to have great distortion. your thinking about power tubes, not pre-amp tubes.

the last thing you want is to have your 12ax7s melting down your PCB in that pedal. :lol:

12ax7s can be re-biased for higher gain factors, BUT that doesn't mean they will physically run hotter.

I have not looked into that circuit... but I'm sure if you check the cathode connections (probably a resistor and bypass cap) on pins 3 and 8 you can find charts that will tell you what gain factor the circuit is shooting for.

I know the Dan Torres book shows that type of chart.

triskadecaepyon

yeah I guess I forgot it was the power tubes.

mlabbee

If you figure out how the circuit is configured, this: http://amps.zugster.net/tools/triode.html is an awesome tool for figuring out your gain quickly - you can then play around and see how different configurations affect gain.  I'm currently building a tube preamp and this thing has been really useful in helping me figure out what kind of parameters I'm going to vary in my breadboarding stage (now if I can just get some TIME!!!!!)

Mark Hammer

Quote from: triskadecaepyonyeah I guess I forgot it was the power tubes.

Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  Sometimes it's just an embarrassing thing, eh?  :wink:

S'okay.  You learned something in the process, even though you had your knickers around your ankles to do it.  It happens.

puretube

overall gain can be reduced by increasing RC or decreasing RA of V1A & V2B;
or by disconnecting their C C.

(or by turning down the gain knob, which is absolutely no sin!)

don`t mess with V1B & V2A; don`t use other tubes;

Gringo

Quote from: puretube(or by turning down the gain knob, which is absolutely no sin!)

Oh yes it is!!  :twisted:
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

puretube