Help: replacement opamp?

Started by Jason D, December 24, 2004, 11:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason D

I am trying to fix an old Crown power amp. I want to replace the opamp. Its a UA739, a 14 pin dual low-noise opamp. Anything similar, or newer and better?

RDV

Anything with this pinout should work. I'd suggest Burr/Brown if possible.

RDV

RDV

Here's what Ti has in that package.
Results

RDV

Anonymous

Jason;

I'm not sure - but it's possible that the UA739 is the same chip as the Obsolete LM4739.

It's a dual-op amp in a 14-pin DIP package that's been discontinued for quite some time.

The Good News is it isn't hard to work around it with a better 5532 chip (8-pin DIP)

Here are two links that can help.

http://www.paia.com/parts.htm    
4739 adapter kit
- and -
www.geofex.com

has a page called "Substitutions for Anderton EPFM Parts"

JDW

Jason D

Thanks!

One thing that may be a problem with using any of those is that the Crown D60 uses the both sets of input/output lag pins on the opamp, according to the schematic.

I have never used these on an opamp. Don't know really what are.

Any idea?

bigjonny

First guess is that they allow you to adjust the input/output DC bias so that when no signal is being passe the Voltage is 0.

Mark Hammer

The ua739 is not the same as the 4739 that Anderton made famous.  It IS a dual op-amp with the identical pinout but the ua version is not internally compensated and needs a cap in the compensation loop (i.e., those pins labelled "nc" in the diagram shown are *busy*).  I learned this the hard way because I bought a bunch years ago and never used them because I couldn't figure out what cap value would make them work properly in the EPFM projects.  Send me a note offline and I can spot you a few.

Jason D

Mark, by "not offline", did you mean email?[/quote]