The story of 3 wahs

Started by jmusser, December 25, 2004, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I ordered myself 3 different wah pedals off of Ebay for Christmas presents, so being a good boy, I waited until today to put them through their paces. First of all, I got a Vox 847 with a bad pot. It sounds pretty good, and isn't scratchy all the time, but I will replace the pot, since that was another present I bought. Next is an original CryBaby I bought for less than $10.00 to put my Gargletron circuit in. I think it's missing at least 3/4 of it's paint, had the instrument jack side bowed in, and no bottom, but it did have all of it's guts. I removed the instrument jack, and hammered the side of the casting back out with a hammer and a chunk of 2 X 4, and then replaced the jack with a new one, since it was trashed. The battery clip was a pretty green from corrosion, and had a bad solder joint that was covered with a wad of tape. I cut it of and replaced it. The pedal works just like a new one, so I may try to keep those guts and try to switch the Gargletron in and out. Lastly was my "Companion", "Exciter" pedal which is stamped 11/72. It has surf, hurricane, siren, wah and volume. The siren & wah sections of the pedal work, but the rest are dead. I'll to spend some time with it, and troubleshoot the white noise section to see why there's no hurricane and surf. This pedal is in excellent shape, and the only thing it's missing is it's two back feet. It has a heavy 16 gage bottom plate on it, with the original schematic glued to it. The bottom also has a separate hinged battery door. The rubber on top is in great shape, and just fits over the foot pedal like a rain boot, which is different from the other two. The siren is cool, and is a whole separate function. It doesn't require the guitar at all, just the amp. The wah is backward when compared to the other two, where the heel is the high frequency. This pedal is very high quality. I have never been around wahs in my life, but it's hard for me to believe that they weren't built as true bypass effects. Now I know the meaning of "tone suck".
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

ilcaccillo

John Lyons

er....how about checking out the date of the post.....
It's 5 years old!

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

frequencycentral

Well at least it shows that people do use the search button!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

ilcaccillo

Quote from: John Lyons on March 31, 2009, 12:15:55 AM
er....how about checking out the date of the post.....
It's 5 years old!

ok,
now we all now that you at least know how to count from 1 to 5,
but no one asked for dates I asked for pictures.

you can go to wikipedia uf you don't know what that means

jacobyjd

Wow, dude...getting needled for necroposting isn't a reason to get all bent out of shape.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

punkin

Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

edvard

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

John Lyons

ok,
now we all now that you at least know how to count from 1 to 5,
but no one asked for dates I asked for pictures.
you can go to wikipedia uf you don't know what that means.

Yikes! I'd hate to do something to really upset you. :icon_eek:
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

doitle

Here's the story of a fellow named jmusser
who was bringing up three very lovely wahs
all of them had problems to troubleshoot, like their mother.
the youngest one in a dented case.

Here's the story of a man named ilcaccillo
Who was looking for three wahs pictures to view.
They were 1 man and a desire to see wah pictures living all together
yet they were all alone

Till the one day when the jmusser met this fellow.
And they knew that it was much more than a hunch,
That this group must somehow form a thread and post pictures,
That's the way they all became the Wah-wah bunch.

The Wah-wah bunch, the Wah-wah bunch.
That's the way they became the Wah-wah bunch

With John Lyons as Alice

John Lyons

Very Nice! I think this is a fitting end to this thread.
Well done.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Paul Marossy

Quote from: jmusser on December 25, 2004, 06:29:15 PM
I have never been around wahs in my life, but it's hard for me to believe that they weren't built as true bypass effects. Now I know the meaning of "tone suck".

Hmm... this is the first time I've heard the story of the three wah-migos.

Yeah, those old wah pedals really load the pickups down bad. In my book, they have to be true bypassed.

ilcaccillo

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Amazing Thread!!!!!!!!!!