too few soundclips

Started by panasonic_youth, December 27, 2004, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

does anyone have soundclips and a decent description of what version of the obsidian theyre using? home wrecker just tells you 'NEW' and 'Rev D', than link to sites that dont exist anymore. that doesnt help me. also, if anyone has sound clips of mark hammer's chaos, id like that as well.

tungngruv

I'll post a couple clips of Hammers Chaos tonight.

Hal

i think they're supposed to sound similar, just noise differances...

panasonic_youth

ahh, thanks tung, sounds like a plan.

Marcos - Munky

About the Obsidian versions, the "new" Obsidian in the Home Wrecker is the transistor version. Basically, there are 4 versions: the first, with 2N7000s, the second, with 2N5089s and two identical stages, the third, with 2N5089s, but with a Blackfire stage and a Obsidian stage, and the last one, using BS250s.

panasonic_youth

ya, what are the differances in sound? and what are they compared to the chaos?

SirPoonga

Sounds like someone needs to start a project (me does not volunteer, enough projects already!).

A centralized site of where to find a schematic, version, where to find soud clips would be nice.  I like runoffgroove and home wrecker, and moosapatumas for the fact that they have sound clips.

panasonic_youth

yea, i like that idea, like, if nothing else, just link to homewrecker/runoffgroove/tonefrenzy/mossapotoums/anywhere else's sound clips. that would be nice.

Marcos - Munky

The 2N7000 sounds like Metallica in the early years, but is a little noisy. The first 2N5089 version is a high gain overdrive, cool for lots of styles, like hard rock, metal (any kind) and a few others. The other two versions I don't know how they sounds. I had soundclips of the first two versions, but I lost them.

panasonic_youth

hmmm, metalica in its early years? like the v-shaped EQ sound, or the really cool thrash grind sound? for the application i'll need it for id need a thicker distortion.

panasonic_youth

Marcos - Munky

The New Obsidian is the first 2N5089 version (two identical stages). The Rev. D is the 2N7000 version. E-mail me for the schematics.

petemoore

I remember one I'd built long ago, had a feedback amp [using 2 of the tranny's and very remotely FF like], IIRC 'strings of resistors jogging from - to + through the 'FF' [I use the term FF loosely here] looking part of the circuit. This one really rocked, very high gain, great sound.
 [I remember there were a # of transistors with the digits 4 and 7 in their value markings them 4k7's etc I ... think].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.