Diameter of SB's boss-style dc jacks

Started by NaBo, December 28, 2004, 04:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaBo

with smallbear down for the holidays, i have no way of knowing so i pose this question to you.  what size hole do the boss-style dc jacks need?  i'd like to drill a couple enclosures while im home to take back to school with me, and apparently i had bought a couple 2.5mm jacks instead of 2.1mm  :?.... oh well, live and learn.  i guess i can use them for circuits that use something other than a 9V power source, so that i CANT plug anything in wrong.

also, can those plastic jacks be soldered outside of the enclosure and then fitted in, or do you have to screw it in from the outside then solder the rest of the circuit to it while inside the enclosure?  are the other, non-isolated jacks the same deal?

i'd like to be able to wire everything before boxing it up, and be able to take all the circuit out easily, without having to desolder anything.  mainly cuz any in-box soldering/desoldering would have to be done through a 3 inch opening, the lid of a 30 cal ammo can, and the dc jack would be way at the bottom...

anyways, you get the picture.  thank you, sirs.

MartyMart

The ones I have are from ESR supplies in the UK.
They need a 13mm hole and are screwed on from the inside, that makes them look real "neat" but some dont like that as you have to de-solder them to remove them.
You can't wire everything up outside of the box that way!.
I personally like the "look" very much.
Smallbears are probably the same size, but just screw on from the outside.

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Alex C

Here's a thread discussing the type of jack you want.  There are a few links  to suppliers in it.
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25354&highlight=weber+jack
I need to get these; my projects are far from perfect, and I almost always end up removing the circuit for tweaking after I've boxed it up.  These would be great.

Alex

Mojah63

Mouser has these: 163-4302  Kobiconn DC Power Jacks
But They are back-ordered with a 14 week lead time. The Weber's on the previous post's thread are not switched. If you don't mind trying to make a D "hole" www.allelectronics.com  CAT# DCJ-12 are cheap. I'm holding out for a simple hole  switched jack myself. Sounds like a great item for Aron to add to his shopping cart. Anyone else have a supplier?? I need 4.

Paul
Paul

So many circuits, So little time